Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Stand Location for the Opener >

Best Stand Location for the Opener

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Stand Location for the Opener

Old 08-20-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Best Stand Location for the Opener

Hey everyone.

I just wondered what everyone thought would be the best stand location for the opener for the October 1st opener here in Illinois!!??

drhuntr
Old 08-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best Stand Location for the Opener

In a tree.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:20 PM

A friend of mine would make a stand at the corner barstool on the trail to the ladies room. He figured all of the hunting widows would be at the dance hall.

I get down wind!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, now this really all depends. Being from ill and all I would assume you are hunting an agriculture area. and if this is the case I would suggest you finding a topo and aeril map. I would study it looking for features that would channel or funnel deer to or from their bedding areas to a known feeding source. such as creeks drainage ditches etc etc. In my opinion you are more likely to see deer in shooting range IN THE WOODS than field edge hunting espically bucks. Sure you MAY see more in the field but it isnt doing you no good when they are a couple hundred yards away. Besides threw spring summer scouting you should have a good idea where they enter the fields at. Look at your maps and trace back from where they enter the fields at and find a likely bedding area. Set up shop down wind of these likely bedding areas maybe half way between the field and the bedding area. Unless there is a funnel of some sort between the bedding area and the feeding source. Then this is defently where you want to be but...... only if the wind is right. If the wind is wrong it will all be for nothing. Now this is what you would do in a perfect world, chances are the wind wont be right or something from murphys law will be messing you up but dont ignore the wind, if you do you will burn out a spot in real fast. This is assuming the acorns haven' t started dropping yet. If they have go set up down wind side of where you suspect the deer are coming from and if at all possible have the oak stand in front of you so the deer can feed in to you with out your scent spooking them. My advice dont set up in the trees they will be feeding from. Try to get 15 to 20 yards back from it/themGood luck to you hope this ma
Old 08-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry about that, I was sayin good luck I hope this helps.