Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2 Blade Rage not deploying blades... >

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Rage broad heads are good for one or two of these types of threads every year. Used them, don't use them any more but I will say this:

A double lung shot is only verified on recovery of the deer. You can speculate all you want about what you saw at POI but my experience is on double lung shots, you find the deer within 60-70 yards almost always. In fact I would rather recover deer that are shot through both lungs than the heart as it makes my job so much easier as double lungs fall within sight or crash within hearing distance.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
LOL!!! Another dumbass that doesn't realize mechs close when you pull them out of a target!!!

Come on man, test after test has confirmed that Rages will deploy on contact with as little as an orange peel to as hard as a steel drum!

Guys like you that obviously have NO clue about mechs and probably NO clue about any equipment and lack the ability to shoot it well....... have NO business shoot a deployable blade arrowhead.

You should stick with something as simple as your thinking.... like a Thuderhead!

This may win the award for the most arrogant and asenine post of the year. Guess what, Rages can and do fail. Accept it and move on. Also, there are outfitters that wont even allow their hunters to use them. GASP! How dare they. Obviously they are just as stupid as the rest of the folks that refuse to worship the almighty RAGE. Your credibility is now zero.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fletch920
This may win the award for the most arrogant and asenine post of the year. Guess what, Rages can and do fail. Accept it and move on. Also, there are outfitters that wont even allow their hunters to use them. GASP! How dare they. Obviously they are just as stupid as the rest of the folks that refuse to worship the almighty RAGE. Your credibility is now zero.
You name the outfitter (where legal) and I'll show you a guy who's ego gets in his way and is simply a diehard fixed guy. I wouldn't (never have) go to an outfitter who didn't allow it and was so closed minded.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Dominant Buck

As much as I think it should be the hunter's choice, I assume his info's correct....and that the Rage head is outlawed (even in states where mechanicals are legal) by some outfitters. I even understand "why".

I say this because..............most people shooting mechanicals have NO BUSINESS shooting mechanicals. Hell, I used to be one of the people I'm talking about. I shot them, and had NO IDEA my bow/arrow was out of tune.

I have no issues with mechanicals. Out of the right setup, they're the most prolific killers of animals out there. Out of the wrong setup, they're a nightmare waiting to happen. What percentage of archery hunters utilizing mechanicals do you think are in tume? I'm guessing it isn't very high.

I'd ask the same question re: fixed heads.....but, folks shooting fixed heads are forced to make adjustments .....or risk moderate to terrible arrow flight. The problem with the mechanical is..........if your POI is in the same spot as your FP, lots of hunters will call that "good". That's unfortunate.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Mechanical broadheads are not legal in south dakota for elk, that should say something about their penetration abilities.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
Mechanical broadheads are not legal in south dakota for elk, that should say something about their penetration abilities.
That tells me ZERO about their penetration abilities. They are not legal because of old style mechanicals that were not sufficient and that has given mechanicals a bad name. If the state would open their eyes to todays mechanicals it would be a whole different story.

I had a complete passthrough on a moose using a Snyper so you can't tell me they don't have the ability to penetrate.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent post GMMAT. Way too many people screw on a mech head to get their field tips and broadheads to group together. But that doesn't solve the underlying problem of their bow being untuned. Many of these same people also have no clue how much kinetic energy their bow is generating and therefore often choose a mech head that has way too big of a cutting diameter for their particular set up. Then when they lose a deer due to the under powered fish tailing arrow flight their bow is producing, they head for the internet to loudly proclaim that it was the broadheads fault and that all mech heads suck. But even with those two problems on board most of those people would still kill deer if they actually made good shots on them. Deer are not that thick from side to side. Shoot a deer tight behind the shoulder and 7 inches of penetration will kill him dead as Julius Caesar. Without an exit hole the blood trail will likely suck but the deer should be on the ground within 100 yards. Most claims of perfect hits on lost deer are just that...... CLAIMS!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by annika3
You name the outfitter (where legal) and I'll show you a guy who's ego gets in his way and is simply a diehard fixed guy. I wouldn't (never have) go to an outfitter who didn't allow it and was so closed minded.
His crippling rate was less than half with fixed heads compared to those using Rages. I also know several landowners in my area that will not allow the Rage head on their property. Doesn't really matter if it is the heads fault or the fact that the setup is not right for large mechanicals, bottom line is, way too many people use them when they should not. In my opinion, they are marketed as a band-aid for lazy hunters that dont tune their bow.

And, if you are willing to go to the effort to tune the bow so it will properly shoot a good fixed blade, there really isnt a good reason to mess with mechanicals and rubberbands.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I've shot and harvested deer with both fixed blades and Rages...I have to say I LOVE that hole a Rage puts in!
I'm currently using Montecs but have some Rages ready to go...maybe later this season or next year.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fletch920
His crippling rate was less than half with fixed heads compared to those using Rages. I also know several landowners in my area that will not allow the Rage head on their property. Doesn't really matter if it is the heads fault or the fact that the setup is not right for large mechanicals, bottom line is, way too many people use them when they should not. In my opinion, they are marketed as a band-aid for lazy hunters that dont tune their bow.

And, if you are willing to go to the effort to tune the bow so it will properly shoot a good fixed blade, there really isnt a good reason to mess with mechanicals and rubberbands.
1. Larger cutting diameter which gives you a larger area of damage (I'm not talking cutting surface) which leads to better blood trails and easier and quicker recoveries.

2. Better flight on windy days

3. Better flight on a poor release

4. Better flight if you torque your bow

In all honesty, I'm not sure what benefits a fixed blade gives you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.