Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
2 Blade Rage not deploying blades... >

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage not deploying blades...

Old 10-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Who told me to get over myself? I guess the ad homonym attacks only register with you if they are incoming. Anyway, I'll say this and I'm done with it.

Was that perfect deployment by that Rage head? Nope, but it did open to a diameter greater than most fixed heads and placed through the lungs that's a killer. So if you are saying that deer survived a double lung pass through from that head then you are mistaken. If that deer couldn't be found within a 200 yard grid pattern search then sorry you must have only got one lung. If you are blaming the head for a lack of a blood trail which made it difficult for you to find the deer then fine. But as I stated earlier I've have some terrible blood trails on double lung hits from even 4 blade fixed heads. Blood trails are weird that way. The good news is that with a double lung hit they don't go far enough to matter.

Also, despite all the hype a Rage is at the end of the day a two blade broadhead. I have used two blade heads out of my recurve (not Rages of course) and while they kill deer just as dead as anything else, two blade heads in general do not yield the blood trails that 3 and 4 blade heads do. I wouldn't call that a failure. Just the physics of a blade that makes a slit in something rather than a triangle shaped hole that tends to stay gapped open better.
Hey Bubba Gump don't forget they "bounce" of deer too.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onion721

The doe I shot with a rage had blood spraying out of both side.

I was so confident that I'd find her within fifty yards that i went and bought icebags before taking up the trail.
Only to find out the blood trail ended at 50 yards with nary a drop to find, that does was never recovered.

I did harvest 2 more deer with the last 2 heads, magnificent trail and I saw both animals go down.

I want reliability, set it and forget it is what I'm all about.

And who the heck pulls a mech head back through the target, I push mine the rest of the way through.

Well anyway I emailed RAGE, await their response.

Ever think maybe someone else found your doe when you went out to get ice and took it
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup when I first got into bow hunting I used Rage 2 broadheads. After loosing 2 deer, and finding them faulty while simply target shooting, I switched to G5 Strikers fixed blade and haven't had a single problem since. I will never use mechanical broadheads again!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Over the past 2 years I have SMOKED at least 10 deers - including a 131" buck - with 2-blade RAGE broadheads. I've never had to track one any further that where I saw/heard them fall. My 131" was at a HARD angle. The RAGE blew through him (from rear-hind to front shoulder) and into the ground. No blood until we saw hiim piled-up right where we saw him go down...about 50 yards away from stand. FYI, I also like BuzzCuts and Slick Tricks.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

to me everyone to there own, if you dont like them dont buy them but the are the best broadhead that i have ever used, the rage 2 blade are awesome, some of the holes that they put in the deer are mind boggling.... ill stick with rage..!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Even if a mechanical didn't deploy properly...wouldn't a good shot STILL bleed a deer out?

I don't get it. My Dad used to drop deer in their tracks with a .22 mag.

I've shot four deer with NAP Spitfires. Three had massive blood trails and only went a few yards (including one that dropped right there). The 4th? Only found a little hair.

Does that mean my equipment failed me? No, it means I made a bad shot.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

No matter how you slice it, imo, there are enough people that have questioned rage to make them questionable, even over the staunch objections of a few of their proponents....who obviously have some very frail egos.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage is not designed for the oring to roll out

Originally Posted by onion721
Now all of a sudden people want to go off on a tangent.

Why are we not discussing the failure of the blade to deploy?

Clearly in the pictures you can see that the o-ring never rolled out to release the blades.
And on the deployed blade you can see where the o-ring broke allowing the blade to deploy.

The whole point of this thread is to show that the blades can sometimes fail to deploy(rarely) but it can happen.
Sorry you are incorrect. The Blades deploy on contact at the front of the head. The blades slip back, pop out and over the oring. The oring does not have to slide back for the head to deploy properly.

Those pictures mean nothing, the blades lay loose after they come out of the animal with a passthru or not. The only way to judge if the head did not open all the way would be to measure the wound channel on the animal. There is no real proof here of anything.

I doubt you got a double lung shot either. Without recovering the deer you can not be sure.

With the Rage 2 Blade I get awesome blood trails with well placed shots.

More deer are lost with high poorly placed shots than broadhead failures. Punch through the bottom 1/3 of the deer for better blood trails.

RAGE ON!!!

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 10-18-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I used the 2 blade rage heads for 4 years, shot 20 deer, and never had one failure. I just recently switched to G5 Montec's , mainly because I got tired of messing around with replacing the blades and tips. It is way easier just to sharpen the G5's. I have shot 2 does this year with the G5's, and love them. I still believe that no matter which head you are using, shot placement is what does the killing!
Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=onion721;3860814]

Clearly in the pictures you can see that the o-ring never rolled out to release the blades.
[quote]

The o-ring is not supposed to roll out of the way, the o-ring just applies tension on the blades to hold them in place until it penetrates, a which time the shoulders of the blades get pushed back, and the blades deploy. Sometimes the o-ring stays in place, sometimes it rolls down the shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.