Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ground Blind, Will it work? >

Ground Blind, Will it work?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blind, Will it work?

Old 07-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ground Blind, Will it work?

I located a funnel that should serve as a good bow hunting spot. However, none of the surrounding trees are large enough to utilize a stand, so a tripod or ground blind is the only option. With an east wind, I can hunt this spot as my scent will blow into a thick and very wet cypress head. I will be looking to the east with the wind in my face, cypress head at my back and deer coming from my left (north) through the funnel about 20-25 yds in front of me. The cover surrounding me will be very thick (thick to my right and left but open directly in front to allow for a shot). I intend to use a mini-tripod setup which is really nothing more than a 6 foot stool.

Is it likely that this will prove to be a low probability spot or is this type of setup ok. I don' t want to waste time in such a spot if you think i am wasting my time.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blind, Will it work?

A tripod is not a ground blind check out Ameristep,
Double Bull.etc. I have been on the ground for over
three years now it works for me!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt a lot on the ground, mainly b/c i have been forced to in the areas I hunt and many spots are just to good to pass up due to lack of suitable trees to hang from. I hunt a lot of willows and pick funnels, bottlenecks that are major moving area for deer, as such i find the key is lay of land, backing and being able to see game before they are in your shooting lane. If you only have a small window to decide and draw, chances are you won' t be happy with the outcome. I hate being rushed and like spots that give me time to get setup and ready to shoot. I usually sit on logs, stumps or a small folding stool and practice shooting from the sitting position. If you can' t shoot while sitting then you' ll need to stand during peak times, unless you have a spot that gives you time and concealment to adjust to a shot opportunity. If you can sit up 6 feet and not be picked off that should help you see further, but it will also make you easier to pick off, concealment and placement will be critical. I would think if the area isn' t going to allow you concealment at 6 feet from the ground, you' d be better off on the ground. It amazes me how you can duck and hide in even the most open spots when required..nerves of steel help too. Last fall I had a doe and her 2 fawns browse upto only feet of where I was positioned, was very cool and after they left the scene my heart was jumping out my throat. It can be done watch your movements, lines or shadows you are throwing and keep in mind the wind direction.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Tealboy ,
I' ve hunted from ground blinds for years also , and they do work . See my post in the Hunting Gear Review section regarding portable ground blinds . The blinds mentioned are excellent and still available .
Old 07-28-2003, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

tealboy I have hunted from the ground for years with a lot of success, I have never used a store bought blind though, all my blinds are either natural or I set them up using bungee cords and camo cloth.

skeeter brings up a very good point, if you are up 6 foot and concealed you will be fine, but if you can not conceal your movement you will be busted at that highth easy.

Two things that are crucial to ground blinds and low blinds is your outline being broken up both in front of you and behind you. The wind as you already mentioned is 10 times more important on the ground or low, but it sounds like the wind is in your favor.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to agree with the others. A ground blind should work very well with your setup. I would suggest taking all the usual scent precautions though and if you have not purchased a ground blind yet then I suggest checking a few of the scent containment models out as well as the normal ones. Every little bit helps.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

The ones I' ve mentioned are both scent containment types . [8D]