Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent

Old 07-22-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Scent

I' m posting a new thread in reguards to Atlasman' s commits in thr rattleing thread.

I agree with him on the too much scent theory. At my deer camp 75% of the hunters arn' t concerned with their scent but they will drag scent pads to their stand,
hang 7 or 8 pads of doe pee, then hang a few torsal glands out, climb their tree and spray racoon pee on their stand. So when a deer, that lives in this area, comes through where there was no scent just a few hours ago, whats it gonna think? " Whats this guy doing out here among all my kinfolk" ?

I just get as scent free as I can and spray a little racoon pee at the base of my stand.

I mean, the trail is right there, the scrape is right over there and the rubs all around it. I know the deer are coming through anyway, so why put out the same lures that the idiot on the next ridge is using.

It just doesn' t make any sence.
3 step
Old 07-22-2003, 10:41 AM

Default RE: Scent

I pretty much agree.

I really don' t use them anymore. They just don' t fit into my gameplan.

And I don' t understand them - I cannot tell a good scent from a bad scent - and I have no idea what a buck will think about it.

I also never liked the idea of attracting a buck from downwind.

But I have had good responses from them and they can work.

I just prefer not to use them
Old 07-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Those are my thoughts exactly 3 step. No need to mess up anything once I' m where I need to be.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:35 AM

What I do is:
1. wash any clothing that does not have a scent blocker built into it with the scent free liquid.
2. put all the clothing that I' ll be wearing in tight rubber bins.
3. the morning of the hunt I' ll shower with the scent free soap and deodorant, etc.
4. after the truck ride I' ll spray earth scent all over just in case any odor from the truck rubbed off on me.
5. depending on what time of the season it is I' ll use a drag of doe pee, but I always wear rubber boots.
6. about 20 or 30 yards from my stand I' ll hang apple scent waffers. The waffers are very strong and will impower any other smell in the air. It doesn' t hurt that the deer think they have found apples to eat. If I' m going to be hunting in some pine trees I' ll hang pine scent waffers out.
Believe me they work!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Question for those that use cover scents such as essense of fall, etc. Seems like some folk like to also use urine as a cover scent (I assume that the whitetail scents are being used as an attractant). What is your reasoning for using it? Is it to create a stronger scent then your own human scent?

Here is my reasons for never using it.

A deer can smell and distigush between many more then one smell at a time. So, all that you are doing is putting another smell into the air. The cover scent will not diminish your smell.

If you are using a scent eliminator, that is another thing.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 PM

I usually climb a pine tree and the climber gets that sap to flowing. The pine smell is really strong. I figure that is one of the best natural cover scents.
I also break off a few pine twigs, before I leave my truck, and step on them grinding them into the ground to get that good piney smell on the soles of my boots.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:38 PM

A deer can smell and distigush between many more then one smell at a time.
Pour some perfume on a smelly fish and what do you get???

A stinky fish with perfume
Old 07-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rack-Attack

ROTFLMAO!!!!

You summed it up perfectly!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I make sure I take every precaution with scent control or elimination. Which includes washing in unscent detergent, hang drying, gear up in the field, were light clothing to walk in, eliminator spray, eat foods that emit low odour value and drink only water when in the field. The only cover scent I use is area field materials in a sealed container with my gear. I hunt with the wind in my favor and if marginal I simply do not hunt that spot.

As far as attracants I have used them with variety of success. I will use doe estrus when rattling in the rut stages, but rather than place them to hunt the downwind side I place them upwind while rattling. When doing this I will hunt an area where i expect the deer to come from the upwind side and have viewing to the downwind side. I feel if they do circle it may throw them off somewhat, long enough hopefully for a shot. But the rattling is my main attractant the scents are just used to spruce up the area, if you will and possibly as a cover.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:57 PM

First two weeks of November is the only time I will use one canister of good old Tinks 69 hung up in a tree. Otherwise I spray scent eliminator on myself for the entire season and take extreme caution to keep clothes in a scent free container with a few pine bows in the container.

I have had deer come right up to it...again, this is prime time rut and that is it!!!

Quick Reply: Scent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.