Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

A arrow gun is no more archery than me putting my hands in the oven make me a buscuit!

The header on my website reads.

Welcome to Archery Addict
No Guns or Cross bows Allowed!!!!!

Last edited by The Rev; 07-22-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the simple truth of it all ......... I can pick up any of your compounds, and any of your crossbows, and I can shoot them accurately with just a few shots and all the way out into the 60-70 yard ranges.

That's the truth.

Very few of you can pick up a recurve/longbow and shoot is accurately at 20 yards.

That's the truth, and there is the difference between the bows. Now that doesn't mean you can kill a deer, and it doesn't mean one belongs in a season and one doesn't, it csimply shows which ones are easy, and which ones are not.

If you shoot a compound, you cannot ride a high horse because you're taking an easy out compared to recurves/longbows.

If you shoot a crossbow, you can't ride that horse either.

If you shoot a glass/carbon/CNC machined recurve and carbon arrows etc, you can't ride the high horse because compared to self boywers YOU are taking the easy out.

A arrow gun is no more archery than me putting my hands in the oven make me a buscuit!
this shows ignorance on so many levels, let me explain them with a couple of points you can't argue

(A) arrow-gun is a non-existant thing you've created in your mind.

by this I mean its as real a word as fogatartalongalong

(B) a crossbow is legal in general archery season in almost every state (permit)

If a crossbow is a gun, they're allowing guns in archery season, so use a 30.06? No, states define crossbows as bows, for permit use or general season varies.

(C) a crossbow is legal in quite a few states to everyone

Many states disagree that crossbows are not bows. They're not wrong.

(D) crossbows are steeped in archery history

A crossbow IS what it is, from state to state allowances in seasons is irrelevant. They've been bows for a very long time, you need only look at archery history to see

(E) www.m-w.com has a definition of what a bow it

look it up
Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

many argue this isn't a bow

but this is

By applying the advantages of PSE’s X Technology with the revolutionary new cam design, PSE Engineers have raised the bar on speed bow design. The new HF “Hybrid Fast” cam system has an oversized design for maximum energy storage and the new 12” limbs are optimized to allow for the performance of a stood-up pocket angle with the incredible feel of a past-parallel limb. So the X-Force generates efficiencies never before achieved (90%+ Wow!). This is why the X-Force™ has an IBO speed range of 350-342 fps producing an amazing 93 foot-pounds of Kinetic Energy. And this bow is packed with amenities. Eight vibration damping devices come factory installed along with a B.E.S.T. grip, pivoting limb pockets, double-dipped Mossy Oak finish, multiple sight mount holes, even quick setup reference marks machined right into the bow itself. This bow is loaded!

•GX Hybrid Cam System
•Highest efficiency cam system ever produced
•80% let-off
•Improved draw cycle
•Modular draw length adjustment without a bowpress
•7" Brace height
•Draw lengths to 31"
•America's Best Premium Bowstrings
•Speed nock locations set by an exclusive dynamic motion analysis program
•Straight and level nock travel at all draw lengths
•Vibracheck™Backstop-Instantly terminates string vibration
•Massively preloaded 12" split limbs
•Past parallel limb design-Biomechanically Ergonomic Slim Throat (B.E.S.T.) Grip
•Pivoting HyperSplit limb pockets
•Limb tip dampers
•Tuning alignment marks

Old 07-22-2010, 06:26 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
OK BC....I will still take your numbers and work with those even if they are off.

You say a bow range is 30 yards ....a xbow is 50 yards (with a rest)....and the rifle is 200 (with a rest)

So with you being the math whiz I believe you can see the bow and x bow range are 20 yards different and the xbow and the gun 150 difference. That pretty much solves the question you have been eluding.....Is the xbow closer in range with a gun or bow?? That problems is now behind us thank you ....

My next question...where can I go to get a concealed carry permit for an arrowgun?
Its not about range alone. At least its not to me. When I shot these arrowguns, they felt like guns. They had distinct advantages that guns share with being preloaded, and can be shot off a rest, no fatigue, just squeeze that trigger.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 AM
bigcountry

I think that one is still illegal for use of taking game in archery seasons in MD still.

Originally Posted by Alex G.
I'm surprised that nobody has posted this in this topic yet...
But here is a REAL arrowgun!
Link = http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Rimfire rifles have always been used for hunting different types of small game; but who would even consider, let alone recommend, the use of a rimfire rifle for hunting deer. Yet, that is the precise purpose of the new Airrow rimfire products from Swivel Machine Works, Inc. called the AIRROW A7722, and the AIRROW A1022. These rimfire rifles, are blank firing rimfire rifles!
The recommendation of using blank firing rimfire rifles to fire arrows for big game is new. And they launch them at faster speeds than even the most sophisticated bows built today, yet with far more accuracy than the average archer could ever hope to achieve.

Airrow’s new rimfire archery barrel installed on the Ruger 77/22.
Swivel Machine Works has a proven background in air powered guns that fire arrows. J. I. Galan reviewed their air powered Series 8 Airrow in Guns magazine back in July of l989 and their model 8S1P Stealth in Gun Digest 1993. In the archery industry Swivel Machine Works is known as the manufacturer of the world’s fastest and most accurate archery products. The people at Swivel Machine Works decided to search for an alternative means of launching arrows from a shoulder fired device, and the blank firing rifle became one solution.
These new rimfire products are based on Ruger rimfire rifles; the Ruger 10/22 and the Ruger 77/22 . The standard . 22 barrel is removed from the Ruger rifle and an Airrow barrel developed strictly for launching arrows or tranquilizers is substituted. Standard Ruger stocks require inletting for the .920” diameter Airrow barrel. Once the new Airrow barrel is installed, standard .22 caliber ammunition of any description can NO LONGER BE FIRED through the rifle. The firearm can only be used for firing blanks which will power arrows or tranquilizers. The Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 are easily converted back to their original rifled barrel for standard .22 caliber ammunition use. Ruger’s Wedge Lock Barrel design allows barrel to receiver changes in just minutes using only a 5/32” allen wrench.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ranger77
Here is the simple truth of it all ......... I can pick up any of your compounds, and any of your crossbows, and I can shoot them accurately with just a few shots and all the way out into the 60-70 yard ranges.

That's the truth.
No can't. Your a blowhard, you whine about shots with a recurve for years, now your trying to tell us you can pick our bows and shoot accurately at 60 yards. You have always been a blowhard. You always will be. People that has worked with you even say so.

Very few of you can pick up a recurve/longbow and shoot is accurately at 20 yards.
Its not mythically hard. You don't have to use the force. Just practice 1-2 times a week.

If you shoot a compound, you cannot ride a high horse because you're taking an easy out compared to recurves/longbows.
Neither can fiberglassed backed recurve shooters shooting carbon arrows. Make your own, and lets talk. Arrows, bows, Strings all of it.

(A) arrow-gun is a non-existant thing you've created in your mind.
Nope, just shooting it and and the feel of it, is more like a gun to me. Call it what you want. Free country and all. You obviously know what I mean, so its far from your word example, which no one knows what it means.

(B) a crossbow is legal in general archery season in almost every state (permit)
Yep, special permit for the disabled and elderly. You really need to be put in that group? are you disabled? Do you need to apply for SSI now?

If a crossbow is a gun, they're allowing guns in archery season, so use a 30.06? No, states define crossbows as bows, for permit use or general season varies.
Nope, its an arrowgun.

(D) crossbows are steeped in archery history
Yep, too bad I only know 3 people that shoots them and does not hunt with them. They have a Hophornbeam prod, and can only be held at tension for a short time. I bet you have no experience with a real crossbow like that do you? Didn't think so.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Its not about range alone. At least its not to me. When I shot these arrowguns, they felt like guns. They had distinct advantages that guns share with being preloaded, and can be shot off a rest, no fatigue, just squeeze that trigger.
It's not about range alone for you but at least we have made progress. At least now you have come around ( with my help) to admit the xbow range is closer to that of a bow. Small steps.

You can say xbows have advantage over a bow but they also have disadvantages that you never want to talk about. It doesn't really matter however.

What if the state just changed the wording and didn't say that xbows were archery equipment but only that the season is being extended for it's own season. Just like they also extended seasons for gun, muzzle loader, and bow over the years. Would that still get your panties in a wad? This way you can still claim superiority over the xbow hunter yet they get a longer season.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
It's not about range alone for you but at least we have made progress. At least now you have come around ( with my help) to admit the xbow range is closer to that of a bow. Small steps.
No, it appears, I have a tad more experience than you with them. But you still have time.

You can say xbows have advantage over a bow but they also have disadvantages that you never want to talk about. It doesn't really matter however.
You mean like wieght I keep hearing you guys toss around. Oh yea, they are less than 10lbs. Some of my bench rifles wieghed almost 15lbs. I hear noise, but at 400fps, I wouldn't feel to handicapped with that. But handicapped is only ones that should be allowed.

What if the state just changed the wording and didn't say that xbows were archery equipment but only that the season is being extended for it's own season. Just like they also extended seasons for gun, muzzle loader, and bow over the years. Would that still get your panties in a wad? This way you can still claim superiority over the xbow hunter yet they get a longer season.
Commando, you got to be a real man to come out of East Ky. We let the western Ky guys wear panties.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM
bigcountry

Come on guys, I know your tired, but we got two more pages to hit 60.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

well you just want to ignore me, not that i haven't said much,but still..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.