HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   So crossbow are legal now...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/324687-so-crossbow-legal-now.html)

Maryland_Whitetail 06-18-2010 03:09 AM

So crossbow are legal now......

in Maryland. What is everyones thought? I have mixed feelings.

noidurism 06-18-2010 04:43 AM

here we go again:s13: i'd like to know what your mixed feelings are?

robbcayman 06-18-2010 06:36 AM

They are legal in Oklahoma now too. I'm getting one next week. I think it's an awesome thing. Recurve hunters resisted compounds. Now I see compound hunters resisting crossbows.

It's the evolution of hunting and I think it's awesome. Just like how inline muzzleloaders got more hunters in the field. Shoot what you like, but don't begrudge others for doing the same.

Bluetickhunter 06-18-2010 07:11 AM

idk my veiws are if your hurt or unable to draw a bow sure get out in the feild and use it but come on archery season you shouldnt be able to use somthing with a scope that all you do is point aim shoot no drawing or nothing may as well use a shotgun or somthing ive got one and aint bashing people for using them but i think itsgetting away from what Archery hunting is

PFC Connor

robbcayman 06-18-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bluetickhunter (Post 3637200)
idk my veiws are if your hurt or unable to draw a bow sure get out in the feild and use it but come on archery season you shouldnt be able to use somthing with a scope that all you do is point aim shoot no drawing or nothing may as well use a shotgun or somthing ive got one and aint bashing people for using them but i think itsgetting away from what Archery hunting is

PFC Connor

Yeah, and inlines got away from traditional blackpowder. And compounds ruined traditional recurve hunting.

According to many recurve purists, you're a disgrace to the sport if you use a compound. So, if you're using a compound bow to shoot deer then you're cheating. Of course you would dispute this, just like a crossbow user would dispute your claims. :poke:

newton29 06-18-2010 05:26 PM

They've been legal in Arkansas for a long time and do not seem to hurt anything. Same range issues as a compound.

bigbulls 06-18-2010 06:29 PM

In the evolution of "archery" hunting the crossbow should have been legal long before the compound bow became legal. The crossbow has been around for hundreds, if not thousands, of years before the invention of the compound bow.

If it uses a "bow" and a string to propel an arrow then it is archery equipment and should be legal during archery season.

The don't call it compound bow season or long bow season. They call it archery season and a crossbow is archery equipment.

So all the naysayers can get off their high horses and welcome the new hunters that crossbow hunting will bring to the sport and help keep the old hunters that are no longer archery hunting... God knows we need them.

ironmace 06-18-2010 10:03 PM

The crossbow was used in Europe starting around the 12th century. Invented in China. The technology hasn't changed much, They even used devices to pull the bow back and set it in a nock, the bolt went in a groove. Why they are illegal in some places is beyond me. Feel good politics I guess.

bronko22000 06-19-2010 03:08 AM

First off let me say I do not own a crossbow nor will I probably ever will. I can shoot my vertical bow very well thank you. But regardless of that I see no reason why the crossbow should not be legalized nationwide. To bicker over such silliness is just what the antis look to try and separate our numbers (divide and conquer ring a bell?). Its legal, live with it. From what I've read where they are legal, statistics show that the harvest numbers are not affected by the use of crossbows.

Madjac20 06-19-2010 04:24 AM

Recurve...compound...crossbow...even sling-shot, it all comes down to getting your target in range for an ethical/lethal shot. That's where you, the hunter you say you are, becomes the main part of the equation. I don't care what you use to seal the deal, just do it legally and ethically.