Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
OK BC, lets do it this way so as to lower the wiggle room in the question.

In your opinion......When talking about ethical killing range of the crossbow....

Is the killing range of it closer to a compound bow or a high powered rifle? Pick one please.
come on man, don't be silly

Now tell me in your opinion, what is the ethical killing range of the average compound, crossbow, and high powered rifle (we will pick a 270)
On average taking out the hotshots who make mulie 60 yard shots, 30 yards is ethical with a compound on average. I am not talking about Bob (the rev) who does 100 exhibition shots, I am talking average.

On average, with an arrowgun from a rest, I would push that to 50 yards. I have shot em, and I was deadly at 60 yards. I am talking 4" groups.

270win, freehand, most hunters cannot hit the vitals at 100 yards. I crap you not. Most hunters go to the range once a year and shoot off bags. I am shocked sometimes when i see the orange army roll in the range in Oct. On a rest, effective range still is about 200 yards.

Here is what I tell everyone, 90% of the time, your effective range with longbow/compound/recurve in a hunting situation is 1/2 of what you can do in your yard. For me, I can consistently hit a 3d deer target up to 35 yards with a longbow. I think thats fairly decent. My honest effective comfortable hunting range is 18 yards.

With a compound, I can consistently hit a 3d target up to 50-60 yards. I try to make my effective comfortable range 30 yards.

I am not saying these are rules for all folks. But am saying on average.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ranger77
compounds have FARTHER accurate shooting capability in the field - look no farther than western states and 70-110 yard shots ....... or farther

that's just the way it is with today's compounds, they're DESIGNED to shoot that far and that accurate
So did they redesign them not to shoot that far 15 years ago? I can't say I am really any more accurate with a wheels bow today than I was 20 years go. Only the bows are faster and more comfortable.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
come on man, don't be silly

On average taking out the hotshots who make mulie 60 yard shots, 30 yards is ethical with a compound on average. I am not talking about Bob (the rev) who does 100 exhibition shots, I am talking average.

On average, with an arrowgun from a rest, I would push that to 50 yards. I have shot em, and I was deadly at 60 yards. I am talking 4" groups.

270win, freehand, most hunters cannot hit the vitals at 100 yards. I crap you not. Most hunters go to the range once a year and shoot off bags. I am shocked sometimes when i see the orange army roll in the range in Oct. On a rest, effective range still is about 200 yards.

Here is what I tell everyone, 90% of the time, your effective range with longbow/compound/recurve in a hunting situation is 1/2 of what you can do in your yard. For me, I can consistently hit a 3d deer target up to 35 yards with a longbow. I think thats fairly decent. My honest effective comfortable hunting range is 18 yards.

With a compound, I can consistently hit a 3d target up to 50-60 yards. I try to make my effective comfortable range 30 yards.

I am not saying these are rules for all folks. But am saying on average.
Why won't you answer the question? We all know the answer but you can't come out and say it. That shows me a lot. But you still spelled it out and showed me that the xbow and compound are closer in range. I bet that hurt didn't it.

I think you are about 10 yards low on the compound and I would bet most on this forum would agree but thats your opinion.

I found this topic on a forum on your longest bow shot....many had sixty plus and some out to 100. I would never do it but it just shows many do. I also looked at a couple xbow forums and only a few had shots at 50 yards and most were around 30.

Here is the bow list....interesting to say the least.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/archiv.../t-792200.html
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is from Hortons website
Hunting Tip: Arrow Drop

Know your crossbow, it's not a gun. The maximum recommended hunting shot range with your Horton crossbow is 40 yards. As illustrated in the trajectory chart, a modern hunting crossbow sighted in at 20 yards, will impact the arrows 21 inches low at 40 yards. During the off season, practice shooting at unknown yardage, and guessing yardage to your hunting target in the woods. Horton's Dial-A-Range® trajectory compensator and Mult-A-Range® scope can greatly help you reach your accuracy potential. Because of the trajectory associated with crossbows and all other archery associated weapons, it is a good idea to clear out and establish open shooting lanes. Down range obstructions like overhanging tree limbs can spoil the shot of a lifetime!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 AM
bigcountry

Why won't you answer the question? We all know the answer but you can't come out and say it. That shows me a lot. But you still spelled it out and showed me that the xbow and compound are closer in range. I bet that hurt didn't it.

I think you are about 10 yards low on the compound and I would bet most on this forum would agree but thats your opinion.

I found this topic on a forum on your longest bow shot....many had sixty plus and some out to 100. I would never do it but it just shows many do. I also looked at a couple xbow forums and only a few had shots at 50 yards and most were around 30.

Here is the bow list....interesting to say the least.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/archiv.../t-792200.html
Sure, lots of tall talk when it comes to hunting. Thats the reason I said "average guy". I myself roll my eyes when I hear of 60 yard shots on a regular basis. A .019 pin takes up the whole side of an animal. I have killed out to 65 yards. And wouldn't do it again. My hunting buddy, who goes by 95harley, on here was with me. The wind alone pushed that arrow to hit the Femoral Artery.

But for me to go out in my neighbors yard, and take an unknown arrowgun, unknown arrow and start stacking them at 60 yards??? Thats crazy. I felt like I was shooting a gun. We had a gun benchrest, just slowly pulled that trigger like it was my 300ultra. Scope was magnified. 5 years ago, went to a friends house who had a Tenpoint, shot 10 shots from it all at 40 yards, and stacked them. These are my two experiences.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Just was looking in the cabelas archery catalog while in "my library." They are selling units that go $2k now. They talk about all the stocks, fine triggers and safety features much like a high end rifle. Still a bow though because it has a shaft propelled by a string powered by loaded limbs and or wheels.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK BC....I will still take your numbers and work with those even if they are off.

You say a bow range is 30 yards ....a xbow is 50 yards (with a rest)....and the rifle is 200 (with a rest)

So with you being the math whiz I believe you can see the bow and x bow range are 20 yards different and the xbow and the gun 150 difference. That pretty much solves the question you have been eluding.....Is the xbow closer in range with a gun or bow?? That problems is now behind us thank you ....

My next question...where can I go to get a concealed carry permit for an arrowgun?
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

My next question...where can I go to get a concealed carry permit for an arrowgun?
Where would you put it? I bet BC will tell you

My definition of a gun is a device which thrusts a projectile down a barrel propelled by a combustible substance.

A bow is a device which propels an arrow with the force generated by loading limbs/ wheels.

A crossbow is a device which propels an arrow with the force generated by loading limbs/ wheels.

An arrowgun should be a hybrid type device that thrusts an arrow out of a barrel propelled by a combustible substance.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-22-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Where would you put it? I bet BC will tell you
No doubt....he know everything about arrowguns.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default A Real ArrowGun

I'm surprised that nobody has posted this in this topic yet...
But here is a REAL arrowgun!
Link = http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Rimfire rifles have always been used for hunting different types of small game; but who would even consider, let alone recommend, the use of a rimfire rifle for hunting deer. Yet, that is the precise purpose of the new Airrow rimfire products from Swivel Machine Works, Inc. called the AIRROW A7722, and the AIRROW A1022. These rimfire rifles, are blank firing rimfire rifles!
The recommendation of using blank firing rimfire rifles to fire arrows for big game is new. And they launch them at faster speeds than even the most sophisticated bows built today, yet with far more accuracy than the average archer could ever hope to achieve.

Airrow’s new rimfire archery barrel installed on the Ruger 77/22.
Swivel Machine Works has a proven background in air powered guns that fire arrows. J. I. Galan reviewed their air powered Series 8 Airrow in Guns magazine back in July of l989 and their model 8S1P Stealth in Gun Digest 1993. In the archery industry Swivel Machine Works is known as the manufacturer of the world’s fastest and most accurate archery products. The people at Swivel Machine Works decided to search for an alternative means of launching arrows from a shoulder fired device, and the blank firing rifle became one solution.
These new rimfire products are based on Ruger rimfire rifles; the Ruger 10/22 and the Ruger 77/22 . The standard . 22 barrel is removed from the Ruger rifle and an Airrow barrel developed strictly for launching arrows or tranquilizers is substituted. Standard Ruger stocks require inletting for the .920” diameter Airrow barrel. Once the new Airrow barrel is installed, standard .22 caliber ammunition of any description can NO LONGER BE FIRED through the rifle. The firearm can only be used for firing blanks which will power arrows or tranquilizers. The Ruger 10/22 and 77/22 are easily converted back to their original rifled barrel for standard .22 caliber ammunition use. Ruger’s Wedge Lock Barrel design allows barrel to receiver changes in just minutes using only a 5/32” allen wrench.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.