Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Expandables? >

New Expandables?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Expandables?

Old 06-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Expandables?

Have there been any new developments in expandable broadheads lately? Ive been kinda busy and havent had time to look around.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Expandables?

In the last two to 3 years I have seen great improvements in mechanical heads. I am not sure exactly what your looking for, but You really do have a lot of quality heads to pick from.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I was thinking more along the lines of since last hunting season, Ive used Rocket hammerheads and Rocky Revolutions.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

To my knowledge there have not been any " break through" heads in the mechanical arena this year. We can always hope for next though. It is right around the corner.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your producing enough energy, the Hammerhead is a hard act to follow.

I would agree that nothing " earth shattering" was developed in the off season. However, if your a tech head on mech heads we certainly have seen subtle twists occurring in the market place. A " second coming" of sorts in two blade versions and the " cut on contact" tips.

Though no longer " new" in their huge assortment of mech heads Rocket developed the two blade ' Naildriver' . I thought that was interesting because some of the first mechs I had experience with way back when were two blades. I have no experience with the Naildrivers so I can' t comment on their performance.

With the success that Rocky Mountain experienced with the Snyper I see they have come out with a " sequel" in the form of the ' Ironhead Expandable' . Being a one piece unit made of stainless steel, on the surface it would seem stronger than the Snyper but again I have no experience with it so I can' t comment on that with any accuracy.

I did " revisit" GameTracker' s Firstcut Expandables (both the Expandable Magnum and Firstcut Expandable) with good results. To me there are two basic reasons to use expandables. 1.) Larger wound channels 2.) Better arrow flight. Because of these I had a hard time convincing myself to use the Firstcut Expandable Magnum. It seemed " unnecessary" to have a head with both types of blades. However they flew well and the results were good.

It will be interesting to watch any further evolution of the mech heads take place.