Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fawns

Old 06-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Fawns

Two days ago, the wife called me at work. I work afternoons. She was all excited because a fawn was born in our driveway. She said the mother left it and went into the timber. She also wanted to keep it![] I explained that no, we couldn' t keep it but that she needed to kind of herd it towards the timber while not touching it or getting too close. She did. It layed down in the tall grass and made a kind of mewing sound. (Wifey video taped it) I told her to leave it along. A couple hours later she went back to where it had been and it was gone.

Think Mommy came and got it? Think a predator got it? Why would the mother just leave it like that? And why for God' s sake would the doe give birth in my driveway when there is timber and buffalo grass all over?

Maybe it was a buck and we' ll meet sometime in it' s sixth year when it' s rack it monsterous!
Old 06-21-2003, 02:35 PM

Default RE: Fawns

Pretty Cool story. Hope it was a buck and ya get him in his prime.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:57 PM

That' s an amazing story. Good luck in a few years. I' m sure the mom came and got it.
Mike,-
Old 06-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ODD.... but it must have been pressuring her awfully bad to let it out. Critters are funny.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:12 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

The only odd thing about it was she dropped it by your driveway. Was there tall grass or bushes along your driveway that the fawn could hide in?? It is not unusal for them to drop them in hiway/road ditches but hen there is grass for the fawns to hide in. Generally the doe gives birth, lets the fawn nurse and then leaves it. It' s her way of not leaving a bunch of scent so predators can find the fawn or fawns. Until the fawn is old enough to go with her, they stay in the immediate area that they were born. Not right where they were dropped but very close to it. The doe only comes back to nurse the fawn/fawns. From what I have seen and understand, the doe will not go right to the fawn but stops a short distance away and calls the fawn. The fawn goes to the doe to nurse and then goes back to it' s hiding spot. Again so not to leave a lot of scent for predators. When we find fairly newborn twins, they generally aren' t laying together but a short distance apart. I figure it applies to predators also. If one is found, the other still has a chance to survive by not being found together. Always get a chuckle when you find/scare a doe nursing fairly newborn fawns. She takes off one way and each fawn takes off in another direction. Pretty clever to my thinking. Once the fawns are traveling with her, they all head in the same direction and this doesn' t appply then.
Interesting stuff!!

Tim
Old 06-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

the last time i walked up on a doe and a young fawn the mother reared up on her hind legs kicking her front hooves. she ment business and i got out of there quick.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

TJF is correct on that. Odd that she had it in the drive way but they do leave the fawns. i was drivin down the road when a doe came runnin up over the other side of the road infront of me never seen the doe there agin but 2 days later i seen a dark spot out in the crp and went out there and got close enough for the fawn to look at me but didnt move. i left her alone and went on my way. but then later that week i saw the doe come back in the evening and when i went by normaly the deer take off running when they see the pickup coming but she stood right in the ditch i stopped and looked at her never moved. so i know that she was back there feeding it and its gone now. but them fawns wont move for nothing.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:46 AM

Hey liquidorange, did you ever see that bloopers film with the man and the deer. Some guy and his wife were in their backyard and there was a doe and a fawn. When the man approached the deer, the doe jumped up on her hind legs and started to thrash the poor guy. His wife just continued filming and after about two or three minutes the guy managed to get the deer away. He ended up needing many stiches. Good thing you got out of there.
Mike,-