Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Rage Expandables >

Rage Expandables

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Rage Expandables

Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rage Expandables

Does anyone know what the minimum recommended amount of kinetic energy is for whitetails with the rage expandables? Did some searching on their website but I couldn’t find anything…

Another question would be what type of arrow setup are you using with them and how do you feel it’s worked (adequate penetration etc.)?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rage Expandables

Bro,
I have been shooting mechanicals for ten years and back in the day they did say that they needed more KE that a fixed blade. The number they used to give was 55-60 ft lbs of ke, most of todays set-ups are way more than enough, like I said I have shot mechanicals my entire bowhunting career and have had at least 60 ft lbs and have never had any problems, 95% of my shots have been pass throughs and the ones that didn't were on big hogs bit they still got the job done and the heads I use are chisel points with a 2 1/2" cut....As for arrows I have always shot carbons and like to put the 3gr per inchweight tubes in but the last two years I haven't had any tubes and they still work fine.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

what poundage are you shooting? I really wouldnt worrytoo much less youre shooting less than 40 or 50lbs....

I dont shoot them yet, but I'm 95% certain I'm going to try em out, have only used muzzys 100gr 3 blade to date.

I'm guessing the rage need less KE than other mechanicals, due to how they open...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For arrow Arrow Kinetic Energy I'm getting anywhere from 51 - 53 Ft/lbs.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The higher your KE the better chance your going to have of getting full pass throughs on game. The larger the cutting surface of a given head the less chance you have of getting a full pass through. There comes a time that with to low a ke and or to large a cutting surface your going to hinder your success. For the rage heads I prefer 55 ft/lbs as a minimum. If your setup is less than that go with the Rocky Snyper broadheads. Very similar design but smaller cutting diameters. Here is a link to my reviews of the rage heads.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/NEWHEADS.html
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say its all about how much you want to stick it in the dirt on the other side, im sure your good to go with the rage's!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 AM

Some of the female celebrity archers are shooting less that 50 lbs. of KE with the Rage two blades and appear to be doing well. I just wouldn't expect a pass through the majority of the time like you get with 70 lbs.