Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
your thoughts ona  disabled hunter using a crossbow during bow season. >

your thoughts ona disabled hunter using a crossbow during bow season.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your thoughts ona disabled hunter using a crossbow during bow season.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default your thoughts ona disabled hunter using a crossbow during bow season.

I have a had a few shoulder issues since a wreck at 19. Last winter i fell and landed on my right shoulder on a driveway with nearly a 40 degree angle on it. SO all my weight went on my shoulder. I went to the doctor he said i just pulled it alittle it would be ok. Well 8 or 9 months later it is getting worst. I shot my shotgun a few months back and nearly cryed.
I have had issues pulling my bow back aswell. Though have not tried since march. I went to the doctor and he said it was still sore. he gave me a cortizoan shot. It did not help hurts like hell still does two weeks later. I am worried i will not be able to shot enough for good practice then the pain just from pulling it if i get a deer. SO i thought about the permit they have for someone with a upperbody limitation to hunt during bow season with a crossbow. What are you thoughts. I feel alittle quilty even thinking about this. But i ant about to stop hunting. What do you think of someone using this permit and would you.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am 100% for the disabled using a crossbow. If I no longer can pull a compound in order to hunt with one, I'll use a crossbow. I couldn't possibly stop hunting.

Now I'm talking truly disabled, not a hurt knee etc that some of these clowns use to get a crossbow permit.

It's going to have to take a lot in order for me to change though, I use Jaws, our own one armed compound hunter as my inspiration and standard. He never even picked up a compound til after he lost his arm. I am in awe of Dan. To top it off, he's one hell of a hunter, great guy and a good friend.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Personally I would probably try to lower poundage on my bow and see if that helps, but if it's legal in your area and it's use a crossbow or don't hunt...USE A CROSSBOW! Anyone that gives you all that much grief about it needs to realize we need as many hunters hunting legally as possible! There's nothing wrong with using a crossbow if it's legal and means you can get in the woods. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see a problem with it. As long as its legal.

I use a Xbow, it is legal for all to use one here in VA.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ihave a bad knee arthritis but i would never use it for the crossbow permit. Though i have the walking limitation permit allows me to use the access roads normaly off limits and hunt from a truck or atv though i plan to never use that part of it. Not sure my red truck would do me any good for cover.
Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
I am 100% for the disabled using a crossbow. If I no longer can pull a compound in order to hunt with one, I'll use a crossbow. I couldn't possibly stop hunting.

Now I'm talking truly disabled, not a hurt knee etc that some of these clowns use to get a crossbow permit.

It's going to have to take a lot in order for me to change though, I use Jaws, our own one armed compound hunter as my inspiration and standard. He never even picked up a compound til after he lost his arm. I am in awe of Dan. To top it off, he's one hell of a hunter, great guy and a good friend.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

disabled..... 100% agree.

Personaly, yes is sux to miss a hunting season, but I would feel to guilty to get a permit, I would just use this season to get healed up, and would video more and use this season to educate myself on deer and deer behavior.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Whatever gets you out there legally man. I'd do the crossbow in a hearbeat if it was the only way I could continue bowhunting. Ditto the lower poundage idea but if that won't work go for the crossbow as long as you need it. Per Rob's story, there was a really cool story on the Twin Cities news a few years back (can't find the video anymore for the life of me) where this developmentally disabled man, with use of only one arm was successfully downing deer and bear left and right with his bow. He had an adaptive aid that allowed him to pull back on the string with his teeth while holding the bow with his good arm. He was shooting robin hoods at 40 yards. Apparently he had been playing in his front yard as a toddler and struck by a drunk driver causing a brain injury and crippling his arm. Now that guy is an inspiration.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

Use the crossbow and go hunting, some day we all might have to use one and I for one will use the crossbow if for some reason I can't use my bow. Good luck and good hunting.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have given it thought this year as well.Last year I had a rotator issue and this year I have tendonitous in my elbow.I am still able to draw my bow but I don't use high poundage anyway.During the shooting session,I am fine but afterwards I hurt like hell and eat Tylenol or Ibuprofen.

If that is what it takes to get out there,get out there.

I don't mind anyone using a crossbow,just don't like it when they get categorized as a bow and are allowed in the whole season.

I feel that traditional equipment should get a little more time to themselves,then compounds could come in and then crossbows after that.

Ky is close,they have archery open to compounds and traditional and then open it up after a few weeks for crossbows as well.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

It all boils down to being YOUR hunt....your only responsibility is to ensure you use what's legal....not ensure you get peer approval......well, that and not burning the back straps on the grill!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.