Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 P&Y and 65% let off? >

P&Y and 65% let off?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y and 65% let off?

Old 05-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: P&Y and 65% let off?

Also, did I ever say I wanted to " outlaw" any of the other practices or pieces of equipment? Nope. Again, reread what was written
To that my response is that we should then also outlaw the following: carbon and aluminum arrows,
titanium broadheads
mechanical broadheads
plastic vanes on arrows
graphite risers and limbs
single-cam compounds...heck, lets disqualify compound bows altogether!
rests other than simple ledge rests.

While we' re at it...

boy, here is some contradiction....

Yours truely
Lilreader
Old 05-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah bogobble, I saw your little vote. You asked a question with an obvious answer and so got the answers you wanted. Whoopdee-freakin' -doo! Didn' t have a thing to do with what I am saying. AT ALL!

Go back and ask the REAL question, the issue I have raised several times. But maybe your a little slow and need to see it ONCE AGAIN so it can sink in...

" Is drawing and holding a bow for several minutes at a time while waiting for an animal to come into range any different from using a crossbow in regards to drawing in the immediate presence of game?"

Just answer the question, YES OR NO.

All the side issues, about getting a tired arm, torque or whatever other BS you want to throw out to cloud the issue is irrelevant. People ARE doing it. Beatty did it when he shot that buck. You don' t see a hunting video any more without the shooters holding at least a minute on their draw.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-19-2003, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

" Is drawing and holding a bow for several minutes at a time while waiting for an animal to come into range any different from using a crossbow in regards to drawing in the immediate presence of game?"

Just answer the question, YES OR NO.

YES!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

That is why high letoff bows are crossbow-lites
what does that mean Mr auther p?
sounds perty cut and dry to me.

So Arthur , what your saying is that if anyone uses a bow with 75% or 80% letoff they might as well be using a x-bow?
what was your answer to that one auther p?
it was a resounding YES!!!

quit tryin to wiggle-worm your way out of what you said auther p.
I have it on record!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Now, you and Lilhunter need to go vote. or are ya' ll a little embarrsed by ya' lls rediculus statements?[8D]

Old 05-20-2003, 02:08 PM

I' m new to this board, first post actually. I just wanted to weigh in. I respect P&Y and their rules. It is their choice as a private club to make up any rules they see fit. I do have several animals that will easily qualify that I have not entered and probably will not enter. To me it is just not that important for Joe Blow in Timbuktu America to know that I have taken some good animals.

My personal opinion on 65% vs. 70% or 80% is that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn' t matter. The hardest part about killing a mature whitetail that will make that type of grade in a fair chase situation is finding him, patterning him and setting up to intercept him. All that high let-off is not a big advantage to the majority of bowhunters trying to harvest a 125" + buck. Sure it is handy for holding back longer but it is not the biggest advantage out there.

The main reason that bigger bucks are killed each year than the previous year is not technology related. It is that now more than ever there are more big bucks to find due to quality management programs by states and private landowners and naturally you will have higher numbers of bucks killed due to larger herds ever expanding into more urban areas where bow hunting is the only method allowed.

When I first started bowhunting several years ago my state had about 500,00 whitetails. Now 15 years later we are at the 1,000,000 mark and rising. Naturally when you double your numbers the amount of bigger bucks killed rises. Just simple mathematics not technology.

I do think that the P&Y Club would be doing themselves a service if they raised the minimum to say 140 from the current 125. With todays QDM practices, hi-protein food plots etc. the 125' s are just too common and therefore reduces the novelty that a 125 buck used to bring.

My personal trophy book " HOSSFLY' s BIG RED BOOK OF TROPHIES" is all I need but I don' t and won' t hold it against anyone that believes in the p&y system and wants to follow those rules and enter their trophy there.
Old 05-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

but I don' t and won' t hold it against anyone that believes in the p&y system and wants to follow those rules and enter their trophy there
I don' t either horsefly. not in the least bit. as a matter of fact, I really have a lot of respect for the guys that can take a P&Y deer. but it' s like you said, the 75-80% letoff, would not be the main reason a hunter would be able to kill a P&Y buck.
it' s all those other variables you mentioned.

by the way-- welcome to the board, good post!
Old 05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

I killed my 1st p&y buck this year but i shoot a bow with 80% let-off so i will not be entering it. Although i' m sure many of the bucks in the book have actually been shot with 80% let-off bows and lied on the entry form. The only thing that matters to me is that he looks great on my wall I don' t need a club to tell me that. to each thier own
Old 05-21-2003, 11:09 AM

I killed my 1st p&y buck this year but i shoot a bow with 80% let-off so i will not be entering it. Although i' m sure many of the bucks in the book have actually been shot with 80% let-off bows and lied on the entry form. The only thing that matters to me is that he looks great on my wall I don' t need a club to tell me that. to each thier own
Don' t take this the wrong way ,but if you don' t care , it doesn' t look like it to me according to your post (and previous posts) . You refer to your deer as P&Y, accuse people of lying,and say you don' t need a club to validate your kill.

I just don' t get it ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.