Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow weight vs Arrow speed >

Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

Old 07-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Spike

Default RE: Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

READ and LEARN

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/
Old 10-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always been a proponent that an archery hunter should shoot the heaviest arrow/broadhead, that he can accurately at a given distance.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read all the posts, But like some others said, a heavier arrow retains its velocity better than a lighter one.

If you want to take anything meaningful from KE, figure the KE the arrow has at the range you expect to shoot, for example 25 yds. The lighter arrow will have lost more velocity than the heavier arrow.

I use arrows that are relatively heavy, 29.5" 2315s with 100 gr fixed blade broadheads. They will punch through a deer, even if I happen to hit the shoulder blade.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

The poster used the example of a bus vs a sportscar to illustrate the point he was trying to make - in that momentum is much more important to consider when it comes to killing a deer. Sometimes you have to use an example like that for a person to truly understand what you are talking about when you say something like "momentum". (the train wreck being a good one too) Because once the arrow starts to enter the deer, you have things like ribs, cartilage, sinews, etc to smash through on the way to becoming a pass through shot. When I first started hunting, I used 85gr broadhead arrows. Wow all I needed was one pin to aim dead on out to 35 yds!! Now I use 125 grain broadheads, with heavier aluminum arrows to hunt with, and I get better damage. I also do not have a flat shooting arrow, with my bow cranked down to 53 pounds! I have to know my shot distance. Not sure what the equivalent weight comparison is, but how about getting hit with a sports car vs a pickup truck? You get the idea. I'm not saying kinetic energy means nothing - not at all. But sometimes I think the bow manufacturers use kinetic energy numbers just to sell more bows. If I were target/competition shooting, there is no doubt in my mind that I would use the flatest shooting rig I could.

So it is all a trade off. Heavier, "rainbow" shooting arrows vs light flat shooting arrows.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I agree!!

We are not trying to knock a building down anyway.

Dan
Woah, Speak for yourself buddy.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

i am totally new to this type of stuff. i want to learn as much as i can. i just went with the pro shop set me up with. i shoot a 350 maxima hunter weight forward with a 100 gr tip. At least that is what the arrow says it is a 350. so that means i am shooting a 450 gr arrow? correct? i should be setup pretty good shooting an 70lb admiral w/ 29" draw?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SeraphHHC
i am totally new to this type of stuff. i want to learn as much as i can. i just went with the pro shop set me up with. i shoot a 350 maxima hunter weight forward with a 100 gr tip. At least that is what the arrow says it is a 350. so that means i am shooting a 450 gr arrow? correct? i should be setup pretty good shooting an 70lb admiral w/ 29" draw?
350 is the rating of the spine of your arrow. You have to find out the gpi(grains per inch) or your arrow, then measure the arrow and calculate it. And then account for your fletching/insert/point/nock weight as well to get an overall weight.

Your arrow is weighted at 8.9gpi(what I found on the web anyway) so...
do 8.9Xarrow length(which is measured from the nock throat to the end of the shaft, nock throat being the deepest part of the v in your nock). Then add a roughly estimated 25gr. for fletchings, nock and insert. Just a rough estimate there, but that should get you relatively close Oh... and then add your fp weight after that.

hope that clears the whole arrow thing up a wee bit. There is tons on it on the web. Try and read up about arrow spine.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

so i measure my arrow and got 28.625. take 28.626 x 8.9 + 25 +100(tip)= 379.7625 right? that isn't bad for what i am shooting? what spin and weight are other admiral owners shooting?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SeraphHHC
so i measure my arrow and got 28.625. take 28.626 x 8.9 + 25 +100(tip)= 379.7625 right? that isn't bad for what i am shooting? what spin and weight are other admiral owners shooting?
Yeah thats a pretty good setup for a hunting rig. Good speed along with plenty of weight for whitetails