Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow weight vs Arrow speed >

Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

Old 07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

ORIGINAL: drockw

Oh yeah, and the distance in drop between 0 and 30yds for the same setups...
398gr. 23in at 30yds. 71in at 50yds
428gr. 26in at 30yds. 75in at 50yds
500gr. 31in at 30yds. 90in at 50yds

That may seem like quite a bit but think about it... Between the lightest arrow and the heaviest arrow there is only 8in of difference in drop at 30yds. When your looking at a target at 30yds, 8in aint a whole lot

Now to the site pins... I dont have a way or the time to calculate your pin gap, but all you have to have is a program like AA or TAP or OT2 (archery calculators) to figure it out by measuring your peep to arrow distance at full draw, and your peep to pin distance, along with your arrow weight/length/fletch etc. etc... IF you were to calc. those, im sure you would find that the difference in pin gap is very minimal compared to what most people think...

either way, a well placed shot is what it is. You dont have to be a genius to do that one[8D] Most setups nowadays are SOOOO overly capable that it doesnt even matter, SO.... shoot what you feel comfortable with.

Derek

These are TOTAL drop numbers and when you use a pin,just about useless numbers.The only factor is the actuall miss diference.I still believe the original numbers are not correct.

The miss difference I had at 40 yards with one of my target rigs was only a 1/2" DIFFERENCE in 20 fps on a 3 yard,misjugement of yardage.

Basically,if I shot a 40 yard target for 37 yards,the slower arrow only impacted a 1/2" lower than the faster arrow.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are MANY factors the come into play when thinking about POTENTIAL penetration that most are completely oblivious too.

Arrow weight,diameter,foc,material of arrow,mass thickness,tune,broadhead style,speed,ke,momentum,all come into play in POTENTIAL penetration.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

There are MANY factors the come into play when thinking about POTENTIAL penetration that most are completely oblivious too.

Arrow weight,diameter,foc,material of arrow,mass thickness,tune,broadhead style,speed,ke,momentum,all come into play in POTENTIAL penetration.
I agree! Nothing is B&W. Most of the times added weight will increase KE out of the same bow.

I prefer at least 6 grains per pound on my hunting setups because the game I hunt does not require extreme penetration and the flatter trajectory is many times a plus.

I really can't remember the last animal I shot that I did not get a pass through on.

Dan
Old 07-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

ORIGINAL: drockw

Oh yeah, and the distance in drop between 0 and 30yds for the same setups...
398gr. 23in at 30yds. 71in at 50yds
428gr. 26in at 30yds. 75in at 50yds
500gr. 31in at 30yds. 90in at 50yds

That may seem like quite a bit but think about it... Between the lightest arrow and the heaviest arrow there is only 8in of difference in drop at 30yds. When your looking at a target at 30yds, 8in aint a whole lot

Now to the site pins... I dont have a way or the time to calculate your pin gap, but all you have to have is a program like AA or TAP or OT2 (archery calculators) to figure it out by measuring your peep to arrow distance at full draw, and your peep to pin distance, along with your arrow weight/length/fletch etc. etc... IF you were to calc. those, im sure you would find that the difference in pin gap is very minimal compared to what most people think...

either way, a well placed shot is what it is. You dont have to be a genius to do that one[8D] Most setups nowadays are SOOOO overly capable that it doesnt even matter, SO.... shoot what you feel comfortable with.

Derek

These are TOTAL drop numbers and when you use a pin,just about useless numbers.The only factor is the actuall miss diference.I still believe the original numbers are not correct.

The miss difference I had at 40 yards with one of my target rigs was only a 1/2" DIFFERENCE in 20 fps on a 3 yard,misjugement of yardage.

Basically,if I shot a 40 yard target for 37 yards,the slower arrow only impacted a 1/2" lower than the faster arrow.
Numbers are definately just generated bs, but the gap distance was all i was trying to show... My indoor shafts (500+gr.) usually hit relatively close to where my lighter arrows do at 20yds...

All the #'s that I put out were trajectory numbers as if you were shooting on a perfectly level flat, and off the side of a cliff of course
Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have a couple questions. What is considered a light arrow? What is considered a heavy arrow? Last year I shot a 330gr arrow and this year I am shooting a 415gr. Is 330grs light and 415 grs heavy? This is with 60lbs.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: luke/r

I have a couple questions. What is considered a light arrow? What is considered a heavy arrow? Last year I shot a 330gr arrow and this year I am shooting a 415gr. Is 330grs light and 415 grs heavy? This is with 60lbs.
Out of your bow I would consider 330 grain arrow on the light side.

The 415 grain arrow I would consider a medium weight arrow.

Dan
Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

For a compound bow......

5gpp = light
7gpp = med. heavy
9gpp = really heavy

(My opinion)
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it easier to stop a sports car going 75mph or a bus going 55mph.
Love this type of "anology"

The bus weighs at least 10 times as much as the sports car.
For the bus/sports car thing to have any meaning, you would have to be comparing
a 300 gr arrow to a 3000 plus gr one. Be interesting to hear what FPS your bow gets with a 3000 gr arrow
and what the trajectory difference would be.

Steve
Old 07-03-2009, 03:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Is it easier to stop a sports car going 75mph or a bus going 55mph.
Love this type of "anology"

The bus weighs at least 10 times as much as the sports car.
For the bus/sports car thing to have any meaning, you would have to be comparing
a 300 gr arrow to a 3000 plus gr one. Be interesting to hear what FPS your bow gets with a 3000 gr arrow
and what the trajectory difference would be.

Steve
I agree!!

We are not trying to knock a building down anyway.

Dan

Quick Reply: Arrow weight vs Arrow speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.