Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 speed vs arrow weight >

speed vs arrow weight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

speed vs arrow weight

Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default speed vs arrow weight

I have a question.

Which arrow would be faster?

Arrow A weighing 300gr shot out of a 60lb bow.

or

Arrow B weighing 350gr shot out of a 70lb bow?

Both meet the 5gr per pound draw "rule".

Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: speed vs arrow weight

Assuming the same draw length they should be pretty comparable. Of course that assumes also that the same crap is on both strings and the efficeincy of the bow in question remains the same. Assuming, assuming!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assume both arrows are shot out of the same bow.....so draw length, arrow length, etc would remain the same.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speed should be similar. Energy levels would be very different.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most bows won't be as efficient when the limbs are backed out this far. So if you took a bow that had 70lb max limbs and shot at 70lbs w/ the 350 grains it would most likely be faster than if you backed that 70lb max bow down to 60lbs and then shot 300 grains out of it. There are very few bows on the market with limbs that load enough to produce a similar amount of energy when 10lbs is taken out.

Now take that 70lb max bow at 350 grains, and a 60lb max bow at 300 grains and most modern bows will be pretty darn close provided the same draw length, cam tune, and similar accessories on the string.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Most bows won't be as efficient when the limbs are backed out this far. So if you took a bow that had 70lb max limbs and shot at 70lbs w/ the 350 grains it would most likely be faster than if you backed that 70lb max bow down to 60lbs and then shot 300 grains out of it. There are very few bows on the market with limbs that load enough to produce a similar amount of energy when 10lbs is taken out.

Now take that 70lb max bow at 350 grains, and a 60lb max bow at 300 grains and most modern bows will be pretty darn close provided the same draw length, cam tune, and similar accessories on the string.
Good point, I didn't consider that.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:15 PM

I have played a little bit with that, and I think the 70 lb bow shooting the 350 grn arrow would probably be a bit faster. Most likely not much though.

Paul
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is a good arrow/fletching/nock/etc combo to reach the 350gr weight and retain good balance on the arrow?

My CE Maxima arrows are 368gr with a 100gr tip......guess I could try to find an 80gr tip. Not sure what that'd do to the balance/flight of the arrow though.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why push it to the limit and affect the other stuff like FOC and spine by doing that if your current setup works? Dropping 18 grains will give you maybe 6fps. 6fps isn't going to matter in any situation, not even if you were shooting at 60 yards the impact point will be close enough that human error in aiming will be greater.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

I got the weight of my arrow at a local proshop (some of these guys are the best shots in the state so they know what they are saying) and they guy said wow thats a heavy arrow at 375 28" draw 70# bowtech tomkat. Im not sure how to take it I shoot a lot of arrows and get great groups

Quick Reply: speed vs arrow weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.