Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Public Land Hunters - Did you start scouting new stand sites yet? >

Public Land Hunters - Did you start scouting new stand sites yet?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public Land Hunters - Did you start scouting new stand sites yet?

Old 06-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Public Land Hunters - Did you start scouting new stand sites yet?

A friend and I went out monday. We were looking for elk and seen some sign and a cow and calf. More than what i seen all last season. I'm so pumped for the season. Only 79 more days. YESsssssssss
Old 06-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few spots picked out. One spot I am itching to check out is some land on the back side of a lake. The public goes back about a half mile and runs into farmland. I have seen deer in the fields when I check them from the road. I am looking for a place to put my trail camera so I just might take the canoe across the lake and set it up.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Spike

Im gonna start when squirrel season starts
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 AM
Spike

Most of the places I hunt are states away.... They are internet scouted... They are always public.. and are in states where one can actually hunt for the deer.... Here is WI there really is no reason to waste valuable time scouting a deer.. You can scout ,,pin point,, and have the deer pegged a daily routine... and then some one dumps a pile of feed out behind their shack .. or some one decides to drive up to theirhunting land and dump bait at their standsand completely changes any pattern you may have spent countless hours to figure out..

Thn the next thing you know the deer you had been scouting gets wacked behind a cabin at the feeder...

So,, No I don't wastesecond scouting deer where thelaws dictate the deer are the hunters.. I do internet scout the public lands we plan to hunt inthe winter and create topos for our fall hunts in states that allow you to actually hunt for the deer as opposed to the deer hunting you anda feed pile.Way too many variables to waste time scouting in areas like that... May as well just pick your spot and dump your feed .. Walla.. Your hunting

NH

Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

My favorite public land hunting areas are gone.They were leased off this spring.Over 12,000 acres that was open to the public is gone.One outfitter leased off 10,000 acres of B&N coal.The rest went to smaller private leases.So if you hunted B&N coal property in SE Ohio you had better check with the home office,being only a few areas were left unleased due to an aggrement with the state.They will be leased off next year.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

californias B4 zone opens end of next month and im going out next weekend scouting
Old 06-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do a lot of scouting in Jan/Feb/Mar when rabbit hunting. Its a good time to check out new areas and looking for trails in the snow. I'll get out again in spring while turkey hunting. I'll start glassing fields here in the next month or so. I'll be going camping here in a few weeks and doing some all night shining.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Never Happy

Most of the places I hunt are states away.... They are internet scouted... They are always public.. and are in states where one can actually hunt for the deer.... Here is WI there really is no reason to waste valuable time scouting a deer.. You can scout ,,pin point,, and have the deer pegged a daily routine... and then some one dumps a pile of feed out behind their shack .. or some one decides to drive up to theirhunting land and dump bait at their standsand completely changes any pattern you may have spent countless hours to figure out..

Thn the next thing you know the deer you had been scouting gets wacked behind a cabin at the feeder...

So,, No I don't waste second scouting deer where the laws dictate the deer are the hunters.. I do internet scout the public lands we plan to hunt in the winter and create topos for our fall hunts in states that allow you to actually hunt for the deer as opposed to the deer hunting you and a feed pile. Way too many variables to waste time scouting in areas like that... May as well just pick your spot and dump your feed .. Walla.. Your hunting

NH
Feeding is illegal here...I know that it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen often, but how could it be better in states that it's not illegal?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't bother scouting spring or early summer. Too many things will change between now and hunting season.

I don't even begin to scout untill September. The reason is, I usually hunt food sources.

The world of the whitetail changes drastically in the fall. Apples ripen, acorns begin to fall and the cornfields are full of corn. As new food sources become availabe, patterns change accordingly.

Other factors also change patterns in the fall. Farmers harvest cornfields and the first hints of the rut begin. Then there is the pressure of other hunters.

During the months of October and November things change fastand patterns change too. They can change form week to week.

Scouing now does little to help me understand which food sorces are being used and how.

Scouting now may help you find old rub lines and maybe give you clues on where to look at betterin the fall, but I prefer to do my scouitng in September.