Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crop damage hunting >

Crop damage hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crop damage hunting

Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crop damage hunting

Funny how we look at things, I guess its true that "one mans junk is another mans treasure". [:@]

But it Sure seems to me that the farmers could be throwing the baby out with the bath water in this case.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff....you're looking at this from the eyes of a hunter. The farmers here don't give a rat's ass about hunting. They see deer as rabbits in their garden.....and as pests taking money out of their pockets.

It's not by choice they leave them lay. Depradation permits, here, require it.
I see what you're saying. I just think it's a damned shame and a real waste, that's all. It reminds me of a yearling that I shot a few years ago and didn't recover until the next morning. It had been mostly eaten by fox/yotes and I was bummed, but I remember thinking at least it fed some of the other woodland creatures. So it wasn't a total waste of a deer.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, I was also told yesterday when we went out to scout the property,that I HAVE to kill at least 4 Does sometime during the 09/10 season or I would be removed from the CD permit list, and from the hunting permission list. He doesnt care if I kill some later in the year which is what I will probably do. I also have permision to hunt bucks as well once the MD season opens which could be a great opportunity.This is one of those deals that no matter how you look at it, there is no real right or wrong, only personal choices. To help the farmers in managing the herd, killing the deer earlier is better so there is less crop damage. But from my personal experience, taking Does early isa tough thing to do being an old softy.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think I coud do that.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Personally I couldn't do it but that doesn't change the fact thta it needs to be done.Good luck!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think I could do it even though good hunting land is hard to come by I think I would have to pass on it
Old 04-05-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be presented with this option this year as a guy I know is thinking of getting a permit .I will be able to do it and would let me hunt longer. We are thinking of donating the meat to a shelter. well maybe i'll keep the inner tenderlions . they are just to tasty . I have seen it before where they are pregnant when taken and can see how that would freak a lot out . It wouln't bother me if it helps out the farmer