Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crop damage hunting >

Crop damage hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crop damage hunting

Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crop damage hunting

Theyare animalsand I don't assign human characteristics to them.
We start in June - fawns have all dropped.
Take the mother and the youngs are picked up by the other family groups within a day.

Steve
Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

No thanks, I like to have fun when I hunt, and thats not my kind of fun!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If my services were requested in helping out with an overpopulation problem such as the one you describe, I'd have to have a clause in my agreement allowing me to take a buck of a predetermined minimum size.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure I'd do it either, I think they'd benefit from having this type of hunt earlier, in the year, or for a short period before season. I know the ultimate goal is to erradicate part of the herd, but at what cost??? In Ohio when I did this several years ago, we were allowed to use a spotlight, and shoot them with HP Rifles, and it was during the fall when fawns would be easily capable surviving at that point.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt because I love to hunt, and thekilling is part of it, butjust killing deer for monetary gain interest me none.
When the population affects a business interest like farming measures need to be taken.Some are not pleasant.
The timing is something I would have a problem with seems to me late September or early October would be more suited for controlling the population, As being that a doe killed before the rut solves the sameproblem with out the nasty side effects.

As For me, not interested at all, of course the crappies are biting this time of year and when Iclean one all I see are eggs.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Andy once I seen the fawns inside that doe it would be over for me.
I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

T
X2

I've never really thought of it, but after reading your description of the hunt I'll agree with PEAK!
I would do it if it was mid-Aug or something like that.
However, I understand the need behind it, just not for me, under those circumstances described.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

If population control is your main ojective.......

There is NEVER a "bad time" to kill a doe.

If I were a farmer experiencing crop damage issues, I'd view deer hunting and "deer", in general, a lot differently. I see nothing wrong with it. It's good table fare (obviously), and there's really NO REASON to gut the animal. Honestly......the crop damage deer killed, here, are left to lay.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If I were a farmer experiencing crop damage issues, I'd view deer hunting and "deer", in general, a lot differently. I see nothing wrong with it. It's good table fare (obviously), and there's really NO REASON to gut the animal. Honestly......the crop damage deer killed, here, are left to lay.
I think anyone who shoots a deer and just leaves them lay only to rot, should themselves be shot and left to rot! What's wrong with donating them to a food bank for less fortunate people to consume?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff....you're looking at this from the eyes of a hunter. The farmers here don't give a rat's ass about hunting. They see deer as rabbits in their garden.....and as pests taking money out of their pockets.

It's not by choice they leave them lay. Depradation permits, here, require it.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think anyone who shoots a deer and just leaves them lay only to rot, should themselves be shot and left to rot! What's wrong with donating them to a food bank for less fortunate people to consume?
Shooting them and leaving them lay happens a lot here also.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with taking does that time of year. Someone has to control the Doe population, and that control is Not always pretty but very necessary.

Dan

Quick Reply: Crop damage hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.