Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crop damage hunting >

Crop damage hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crop damage hunting

Old 03-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crop damage hunting

Okay, so I have been invited to do some crop damage hunting on a neighbors farm that has an overpopulation problem, its about 1500 acres, probably 1100 acres is ag fields.I can hunt (Doe only) with a bow, BP or shotgun. Ive done it before over the years and if anyones ever done it, killing Does before June results in a very, well, lets just say for me, uncomfortable field dressing experience seeing unborn fawns squirming around, and having to kill them after field dressing. And if you make a bad shot which does happen, its even worse for obvious reasons. I have no problem killing deer, or any animal Im legally allowed to hunt, I also believe in helping the local farmers out, gives me an opportunity to hunt deer 9 months out of the year, but I also want to make sure every shot I take at a live animal is done as responsibly and humanely as possible. However, on the other hand, once the fawns are born, and you take Momma out, now you have 2 or 3 spots sitting there looking at you. I know its a good way to really help control the deer population, but I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on this.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crop damage hunting

Never shot them during the off season times. We have dmap permits from the state and harvest alot of does on my lease. It sure helps getting the ratio down.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I don't think I coulddo it. I know I am a softy, but I can imagine it's kind of like killing 2 birds with one stone when it comes to population control.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think I would be able to do it. You kill the doe then there is a fawn or two left there to suffer and die. Not my cup of tea.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I participated in it a few years back and didn't care for it either plus it was awful hot as it was a little later than what you will be hunting.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I did it for 7 years in southern AA co . It got to be more like work then fun when I first started doing it . I killed my fare share of does with fawns inside. what could you do just leave them in the for the buzzards and move on.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Andy:

No need to gut the animal to quarter it. Flame away....but all you'd be missing out on is the inner TL's (and some people have a method of getting those, sans field dressing).

That's exactly what I'd do.

Good luck....and forgive my ignorance....but what's a BP?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff I think the (BP) is black powder??
Andy,
Great way to manage the herd but I would never do it! I have had the oppurtunity to do it and turned it down. I do not want to see those babies and I do not want to know I am killing a mother than they are suffering till I kill them! Just not my cup of tea bud! Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Bartender

Andy once I seen the fawns inside that doe it would be over for me.
I wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

T
Old 03-28-2009, 01:02 PM

I probably couldn't do it. Even early in bow season when fawns still have spots I try to take a doe w/o any fawns, even though I know that by that time the fawns will be ok if mama is gone.

Quick Reply: Crop damage hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.