Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 crop damage deer? >

crop damage deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

crop damage deer?

Old 07-21-2004, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default crop damage deer?

My wife's friend was over last night. She said her Dad owns a bunch of land about an hour away and just received unlimited permits for crop damage deer. She told us that he wants someone reliable to harvest the deer but wants them gone! She also said he didn't want any young punks on his land. Well, I guess there is an advantage to being in your mid forties. I advised her that because of obligations I couldn't do much until September first, but could find another friend to help me rid his land of such vermin. I also told her because of safety reasons, I would only do it if I had sole rights to his property. She promised to talk to him and let my wife know by the weekend. (I'll be in Canada fishing) She also said he counted as many as three hundred in a herd this winter in one of his fields. OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY! I can use any means to kill these deer and am sure I'll have to use a firearm part of the time, but would like to really gain a lot of experience with my bow.

I also know some of you have crop damage permits. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: crop damage deer?

a friend of mine lives in a urban area but they have ordinances about amount of land a single house can be on, his father has about 10 acres that his house is on and he grows his own vegetables, probabaly no more than an acre of crops but still they are his personal crops. his entire crop was desimated this summer. he has tried contacting the police about getting rid of SOME of teh deer in his area, how would he go about getting a crop permit. any ideas?

thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Tell your uncle to put a fence up! J/k In NY I believe you need at least 50 acres to even think about crop damage permits. Don't know where your at.

rcd567, as soon as you get the go ahead, start looking for the closes meat processing station that supports "Hunters for the Hungry" or something like it.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a good deal. If you want to make them happy and ensure your future rights to hunt the propety....I'd break out the gun and shoot every doe you see. I know you want to get experience with your bow, but you also need to think #'s, especially to begin with. I'd shoot a pile of em, then worry about the bowhunting. Last thing you want is to spend your time out bowhunting and harvesting very few....then lose the property because you weren't getting the job done. Also make sure you line up some folks that want deer meat, sounds like you'll have alot. Have fun
Old 07-21-2004, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Mantis, i live in Illinois, northern part. I think i will contact the DNR ask them what he should do.

rcd567, i agree with Wv Hunter, shoot yourself a heaping PILE and MAKE sure teh OWNER sees this. it will make him happy and make him feel like hes still in controle and in the LOOP so to speak... as a land owner that is a HUGE deal to me when my friends come out to hunt. good luck
and if you want soem one to tag along and help ya i have a nice 270 i want to break in
Old 07-21-2004, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man I need these kind of problems

Good luck I hope you get it. If it's in Iowa there are probably some dandies on it too. If you do a good job thinning the heard you may wind up getting to stick a big one or two also!