Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods? >

Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Man you all havehad some crazy experiences in the woods. Seems to me people shouldn't be running to the woods for a little "fun" during deer season.I don't have any stories like that. Some wierd/cool things that have happened to meare a coyote and doe both coming into my fawn bleats/fawn in distress calls, seeing each other, and all hell breaking loose.

Also, last October,having to duck from a group of gobblers flying straight at me when we crested a hill at the same time. We scared each other, and I guess I literally "scared the crap out of them" because they continuously crapped while flying for a good 40 -50 yards, it was hilarious. I had never seen that before.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was bowhunting from the ground a couple years ago. Sitting in a fence line looking out into a tilled corn field, the other side of the field is a slight a hill covered with pines. So I was just sitting there looking out into the field when just like that about 30 or so turkeys fly out of the woods, fly all the way aross the field and they all land next to the edge of the line fence I was sitting in.

It scared the crap out of me at first been then it was so cool to watch them fly and land all around me. It was a whole group of hens and as soon as they landed they must have saw me moving out of the way from one of the turkeys and they all started putting like crazy.

It was amazing to say the least.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also last spring Ihad a fox sit no more than 20 yards from me and watch as I picked up my turkey decoys after a morning hunt. He didn't have a care in the world. Seemed like he was enjoying watching me pick the decoys up and pack other things. Wasn't scared of me one bit.

He finally walked off and I continued to pack and head for the truck. I was about 40 yards from the truck when I happend to turn around and see the fox following me up the logging road. I stopped and looked at him at he stopped aswell. I then continued to the truck and the fox did the same. He was almost mimicking me. So I got to the truck and started loading everything in, every now and then looking behind me and watching the fox watch me from the same distance of about 20 yards.

He finally got bored and calmly walked into the woods. Don't know if he ever came back because I left right after that but it was still very cool and odd.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Spooked a deer as I began climbing down the tree and heard it run off without seeing it but hoping to God that it was only bigfoot.

The other time was when I called in a deer with the grunt tube and it ran right up to my tree and was litterally right in front of me. I was no more than 10 or 12 feet up in the pine tree. It stayed for about two seconds before it darted off.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had quite a few interesting things happen in my few years... This one is probably the funniest though... Me, my dad, and my uncle were all deer hunting. It was nov. during the rut. We hunt on the river and usually just drop each other off at whatever spot we are planning on hunting. I was probably about 11yrs. old and it was a morning hunt. The stand was new, and I wasnt sure where to go when i got in the woods, so dad and the good ole uncle get outta the boat to walk me there. Well, my uncle figured the boat would be fine w/out tying it up since tehy would only be out long enough to walk me to my stand which was only 50 or 60 yards from the bank. Keep in mind I was still a youngster so going to the stand in the dark wasnt exactly a walk in the park Anyways, you know the rest lol! The boat ended up driftin out from the bank, and in the mid nov. cold, my uncle had to swim to it lol! He stripped down to nothing and did it to and tuffed out the hunt. It was definately a lesson learned for all of us too. Some of you may think that it would be ridiculous to ever not tie it up, but we were/are constantly on the river even today and usually have good judgement on the ways of the river. Not that day though[&:]

Another weird thing ive had happen was I had a bird land on the tip of my rifle a few years back while I was ground hunting a field edge. Here i am just sitting here still, and a bird lands right on the gun barrel.

Derek
Old 03-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a few monsters but I didnt get scared but they were! Actually about 8 years ago I was hunting in area outside of Alliance, Ohio which is actually could fittingly.......Deerfield, Ohio. Anyways, I am up in my stand and all I can hear is this thing that sounds like deep growling. I have heard the legendary buck growl, not the one the snake oil salesman The Drury brothers sell but a real one and this sound was nothing like that sound. It went on for about an hour, right in the middle of the day in mid October. I saw what I belive to be an upright walking primate. No bs, it scared the living crap out of me......less the 25 percent of the people I tell that story to believe me because I have also saw a ufo, ghosts, and the goat man. I will get to the goatman since more people are drawn to the story than any other. I was driving back to my sisters house in a small town in Champaign County Ohio called North Lewisburgh. I worked second shift at the time so it was about 1015 pm and there are a ton of cornfields out that way so I would always look in them as I drove looking for deer. I drove past this thing at 60 mph and was like what the hell was that! I stop the car, put it in reverse and start to go back to where I saw this thing. As I am in reverse looking out side mirror I see the red eyes of this creaturerunning right towards me. I stop the car put it in drive and take off............I LOOK AT THE SIDE OF MY CAR AND THIS THING IS RUNNING RIGHT ALONG SIDE ME 8 FEET FROM MY WINDOW! It was the scariest thing I have ever seen and I hope I never see it again. It stayed along side me until I hit 50 or 60 mph. I got a great mental picture of this thing and there is no way this thing is normal. I got to my sisters ran in the house and slammed the door as fast as I could. Everyone was wondering what the hell happend and of course they didnt believe me.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:19 AM
N2D

One morining last season before daylight I climbed up into my tree and had sat there about ten minutes. All of a sudden, konk......... right on the right side of my head just above my ear. It was a fairly hard hit that startled me. At first I thought something had fallen from the top of the tree. Then I realized it could not have hit me that hard on the side of my head. Then all of a sudden, Konk... right on my forehead and this one was a definate hard lick. It was just barely getting daylight by then when I got a faint look at some kind of bird that made another run at me so close I could feel the wind from it. So I stood up, took off my hat and started waving my arms. Whatever it was it never did come back. When I got home I told my wife about it. She began laughing and looked at my scalp and there were three claw marks on the side of my head and I had been bleeding some. I called my friend that is the land owner and accused him of having a trained attack whipporwill.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

This wasn't weird, but actually pretty cool. I watched this fox walk up to within 10-15 yrds of me (I was in my tree stand), walk in a circle the way a dog would, yawn, then lay down for a nap. This is why I NEVER go into the woods without my mini video cam!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

A couple things:
First mahoningbuck How about the werewolf story and maybe a vampire or two, I think the caffine and the crack are taking it's toll, lol.
I was hunting early morning well before light. All of a sudden, BOOM, and the woods light up for a second or two. Then I hear some "dying" noises, no other way to describe it. So after a while I think nothing of it, i get down and walk back to the truck. I talked to the landowner and he said the power went out at that time this AM, then he drove to town and a dead turkey was on the road. Well , i gues the turkey blew a transformer when it touched a couple overhead wires and got fried. I tell you when that thing blew it was like a shotgun blast and it seemed like the light of day for those couple seconds.
Dandbuck
Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 4 years ago I was hunting at the edge of an old horse pasture. There was some home construction going on about a 1/2 mile down the road. About an hour and a half before dark I can see a truck coming down the road. All of a sudden the truck stops not 60 yards from my tree. A hispanic dude jumps out and walks in to the woods. I just knew he had seen me and was coming to aggrivate me. Well as it turns out...when you gotta go, you gotta go. Hepopped a squatabout 25 yards from me a dropped a deuce! [:'(] Luckily he was on the other side of the tree but it was obvious what he was doing. Thank God thewind was in my favor. I would have given ANYTHING for a deer to come out right then since I was hunting with my rifle. Imagine how fast he would have shut it off if a tree 25 yards from him had gone BOOOM! Oh well, I got a good laugh.

Quick Reply: Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.