Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods? >

Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 AM

Default RE: Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Used tohear reports ofa random cow calfwalk through the woods. Apparently the cow got loose from one of the large cattle farms in the area, years prior.

No farmers reported any missing head of cattle, so no one knows where it came from. No ear tag or brazing. Many, many hunters and nature buffs reported seeing the same cow.

It quickly became known as the Griggstown Ghost Cow. Many years after the first reported sighting, a hunter, (I believe) found the cow stuck in the mud along a stream in the woods, clinging to life.

Animal control came to rescue the cow and it ended up uthanizing it. The cow was aged at like 30something years old.

Mind you, by the time the cow was found, it was no longer a calf.

[hr]

I've had red-tailed hakws fly right at me, like many others have had happen. One, in particular, almost hit me. I was sure it was going to hit me, but it banked out at the last second.

[hr]

And, I saw a racoon swimming, upside down. Only briefly, but that little fricker was definitly upside down for a bit. Pretty wierd, to me.

[hr]

I was hunting this past rut and I watched a pretty decent 2.5yo buck walk straight in to a small, dead sapling. The sapling cracked, fell over and the buck kept walking as if nothing happened, didnt even slow down. I thought that was really funny.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! You guys have had some weird,scary and cool things happen to you while hunting!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BlackFive782

Used tohear reports ofa random cow calfwalk through the woods. Apparently the cow got loose from one of the large cattle farms in the area, years prior.

No farmers reported any missing head of cattle, so no one knows where it came from. No ear tag or brazing. Many, many hunters and nature buffs reported seeing the same cow.

It quickly became known as the Griggstown Ghost Cow. Many years after the first reported sighting, a hunter, (I believe) found the cow stuck in the mud along a stream in the woods, clinging to life.

Animal control came to rescue the cow and it ended up uthanizing it. The cow was aged at like 30something years old.

Mind you, by the time the cow was found, it was no longer a calf.
Now that, is weird.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lrhuntr

Also last spring Ihad a fox sit no more than 20 yards from me and watch as I picked up my turkey decoys after a morning hunt. He didn't have a care in the world. Seemed like he was enjoying watching me pick the decoys up and pack other things. Wasn't scared of me one bit.

He finally walked off and I continued to pack and head for the truck. I was about 40 yards from the truck when I happend to turn around and see the fox following me up the logging road. I stopped and looked at him at he stopped aswell. I then continued to the truck and the fox did the same. He was almost mimicking me. So I got to the truck and started loading everything in, every now and then looking behind me and watching the fox watch me from the same distance of about 20 yards.

He finally got bored and calmly walked into the woods. Don't know if he ever came back because I left right after that but it was still very cool and odd.
This is very unlike how a fox SHOULD act when they see a human. He probably had rabies. I would have kept a good eye on him, and maybe thrown his ass a lead sandwhich.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fingerz- I've seen a lot of fox in my life and this one looked as healthy as an Ox. I wouldv'e rolled the thing but it was May and the season was closed. Unfortunately. [&o]

To add, the locating I was hunting has numerous houses around it. This thing was probably used to humans, I just found it odd that he was "that" used to people.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was most likely in the first stage. They show very few symptoms other than behaviors becoming uncharacteristic of what they usually do. I agree that animals that live close to humans will become accustomed to humans, but following you is not him being "used" to you. It is most likely him being infected.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jag-mag

I had a owl[seen it coming] fly right at me, at about 20 yrds I wasn't to worried . At 10 yrds I was squirming
and all I was thinking is he seen movement from my leafy head net that I had on. I actually started standing up, at the last second
it swerved off, I swear I could feel the wind from it's wing when it went by.

i had the same thing happen to me, except for it was a red tailed hawk. its wing tipliterally brushed my face as it flew by! pretty neat stuff!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:37 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

I got one for ya but it is not that good.I was hunting turkey one afternoon by the river and where a ditch runs
into it, right on the corner.Two guy's come by on a boat and i hear one say, this is perfect.They pull over right under me throwed out a blanket got there bottle, and before i seen something that would haunt me the rest of my life.I got up from aganist the tree and walked away.It took them a little while to notice me but they did,they had that look like they seen a ghost.
[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Well,I have 2 of them to share. The first is natures doing, the second is my own doing.

#1. Mine is alot like N2D's story. Got up in my stand for a morning hunt in early season. Of course it was still dark when I settled in. It was years ago before I started wearing camoskinz on my head, and I was still using the old spand-o-flauge head net . Anyhow, after about 10 minutes, all of a sudden Kaboom!!, right in the back of my head. I'm standing there thinking What the heck was that? I thought that maybe a branch or something had fallen from the tree above me. After a few minutes it happened again, only harder. I felt my neck get real warm and wet. I felt my neck, and took out my lashlight and I had blood all over my hand. All of a sudden I felt something brush the side of my face. Man I got down right now! I walked about about 20 yards away and stood there till it got lighter. It ended up being a stupid chicken hawk. I got home and had my wife check it and he really gouged the back of my head. She wanted me to get stitches, but I didn't want to have a big shaved spot on my head so I let it go. It was a pretty freaky thing!

#2. Have myself to blame for this one. This happened about 20 years and about 50 lbs. ago. I was a porker back then. I was hunting down by the St. Mary's river here in NW Ohio.My standwas about 200 yds from the river. In late morning, whatever I ate the night before took its revenge and I had to poop REAL BAD and REAL QUICK!! I didn't want to desecrate my hunting area, so I got the bright idea of going back and crapping in the river. So I did the duck walk, sphincter clamping shuffle back to the river. This part of the river had a very steep bank, and the river was about 15 feet down. It just so happened that right where I ended up, there was a tree that had fallen and there was a fork right over the river. Hey the perfect toilet!! So I pull my pants down, slide out on the limb and sit on the fork and let er fly!! After empying the bowels, I went to slide off the branches and my hands slipped, and the next thing I know my big, fat, white arse is wedged down into the branch of the tree! And I mean wedged tight! And my upper body was stuck in the fork up to my armpits.I pushed and pulledand couldn't get loose. All I could think of was me not getting out and dying there, and some poor person in a canoe looking up and seeing a big, dead white but right above them.I was getting to the point of exhaustion when I finally pulled myself free... sort of. I then realized that my pants were wrapped around a short peice of branch sticking out below me. I worked at getting loose , and came to the conclusion that the only way was to cut my pants to break free. So I wrestled around until I could get my beautiful commeritave Buck lockblade out of my pocket. I opened it up, reached down just far enough to cut my pants free. Just as I started to slice it, my knife slipped out of my hands, and you guessed it, right into the river for all of eternity. Luckily I had sliced my pants enough that I was able to tear free... well actually rip the whole rear end out of my pants. But I was finally free. So I finally get free, realized that not only did I destroy the whole rear end of my new Predator pants, but I also sprayed crap all over them. I had dropped my prized possesion knife in the river. I was cold, tired, hungry, mad and just plain felt like a to tal d**khead at that point. Couldn't get any worse that that huh? Well, except for the fact that when I was walking out, I got to the stand that I WAS sitting in, and there was 8 deer right by the stand, including a small basket rack and a very nice wide racked buck that I definitely would have taken if I wouldn't have been wedged into a tree ..down by the RIVER!!! ( for all us Chris Farley fans!)...
So... how was your day????
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Gun season, Philips Wisconsin, 2007. 4:45 am I was dropped off at my stand. I forgot my head lamp, so my buddy walked me to the stand with his light. I got up and sat down and the mule drove away. 10 minutes later, still pitch black, and I the I can't hear or see the mule. I start hearing some foot steps in the distance. It sounded like something with two feet. It could have been a deer, but the thing is that it went right underneath me and a continued in its moving direction. 10-30 yards behind me I heard it stop and sware to god I heard it laugh. Not like a clown orany thing. But like a typical small joke laugh. It scared the **** out of me.

Quick Reply: Weirdest thing you've had happen to you in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.