Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot or pass?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoot or pass?

Bowhunting for 40+ years and being in on dozens of other Blood Trails allows you to experience lots of things.

I always do an autopsy on any animal I find dead, whether I shot it or not. I have saw deer hit in the liver only that expired in less than 100 yards. I have also saw a buck my buddy shot right through the liver that was still very much alive after an hour. It had to be finished off. Well maybe it didn't have to be, but we did. I'd guess he would have been dead the next morning.

There are some major arteries in the liver and I'm sure that's where the differences are. You hit an Artery and that Deer is not living long IMO.

Dan
Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

pass, tucked in behind the shoulder or nothing with the bow, i've helped track way to many single lung hits, that got away, making a bad shot is one thing, but shooting during the wrong situation is just careless.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

A liver shot deer is as tricky as it gets. They can go 80-100 yds and fall over dead. Or still be living 3 hours later. Its a roll of the dice.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM

Although its not the prefered shot..I have read an article on the average tracking distance of deer taken with various shots...and the Liver was the shortest distance and regarded the most fatal shot!...go figure..something to do with the arteries to the organ..
If placed in that scenario..and after reading the report Id have no dramas in taking the shot if i was confident of hitting the liver...but..as i probably wouldnt be in a stand,as i cant stay still due to arthritis..id simply move into a better position if possible....obviously deer arent considered as feral pests over there as they are hereand that may come into play...
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

that might be the only buck i see all year, so yes I am probably taking the shot
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have read an article on the average tracking distance of deer taken with various shots...and the Liver was the shortest distance and regarded the most fatal shot!
No knock on you special but whoever wrote that article Is full of BS! Not everything one reads Is good these days.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I have read an article on the average tracking distance of deer taken with various shots...and the Liver was the shortest distance and regarded the most fatal shot!
No knock on you special but whoever wrote that article Is full of BS! Not everything one reads Is good these days.
I agree Steve!! That's some Big BS!!

Dan
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I agree Steve!! That's some Big BS!!

Dan

I also agree Steve.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Spike

PASS, regardless of game species if I don't have a clear shot at the heart/lungs I will be very tempted but I will not take the shot. I hate tracking because that means I have not put a perfect shot in and the game deserves to be harvested as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Do you find the steep angle of a tree stand shot reduces the chance of collecting both lungs?