Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot or pass?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 AM

Default RE: Shoot or pass?

No question about it, pass. I'd pass on a neck shot also and I did this pastNovember. I was on the ground when I saw a nice 125 or so walking alongjust insidea hedge row parallel to the oneI was sitting in 45 yards away across some hay. I hit the grunt tube and he made an immediate left turn and came straight at me and stopped at twenty steps head on.I was at full drawand we stared at each other until I finally had to let down. No regrets at all. Sometime we win, some times they win. It's all good.

Ken
Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Passed this year, twice, on what would have been my biggest buck ever, by about 50", just couldn't get him to stop. He was at about 25 yards both times, following a doe, but never would stop for me. He wasn't running by any means, just walking normal. Either way, I would have had to swan dive from my treestand if I stuck him in the ass instead of the heart. Not worth the chance IMO.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 PM

defiantily pass its a no brainer
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

PPPPPPPASSS.

Anyone that has ever hit a liver shot deer knows it can be a HELL track job. It is not worth it.

Halfrack--I will beg you to reconsider your thoughts about neck shooting deer at "close" range of 15 yards. 15 yards is NOT close range when bowhunting deer. Trust me.
I disagree with liver shots being a pain in the arse to track. My first deer ever went down and was dead in 5 seconds and 40 yards after I sent an arrow through his liver...I didnt mean to shoot it there but I had some major buck fever with it being the first deer id ever drawn on...
In time you will find out liver shots aren't always easy tracking or a quick kill. I've had 2 different liver shot deer alive yet the next morning and had to stick both of them again. Both times I dead centered the liver.

To answer the question of the thread, no way man am I taking that shot. I've passed that shot many times the last 23 years of bow hunting. Bow hunting Is a game of Inches!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

The liver is a gauranteed fatal shot. Wait at least two hours, if it's an evening hunt let it go overnight,and you will have yourself a dead deer! You take the shot!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:53 PM

You think the Native Americans ever passed up on a shot just because they couldn't hit the vitals...no way. I'm taking any shot I can take, granted I want the highest percentage shot available to me, neck shot, liver their never out of the question I guess I'm not one of the so called "ethical" hunters, but don't really give a rats a** what anybody thinks about my philosophy.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lnen#1

You think the Native Americans ever passed up on a shot just because they couldn't hit the vitals...no way. I'm taking any shot I can take, granted I want the highest percentage shot available to me, neck shot, liver their never out of the question I guess I'm not one of the so called "ethical" hunters, but don't really give a rats a** what anybody thinks about my philosophy.
You don't have a philosophy lnen, you have poor shot judgement. We are not hunting like the Native Americans once did, and to confuse the two endeavors is not wise. Unless you are sustinence hunting, then not only is your philosophy off base about your shot placement, but so is your analogy of how native american hunters and ourselves are similar.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

ORIGINAL: lnen#1

You don't have a philosophy lnen, you have poor shot judgement. We are not hunting like the Native Americans once did, and to confuse the two endeavors is not wise. Unless you are sustinence hunting, then not only is your philosophy off base about your shot placement, but so is your analogy of how native american hunters and ourselves are similar.
If I'm hungry I'm going to take the shot, killed several does with well placed head and neck shots. I'm a food hunter first, then a trophy hunter. I have no quams with your "opinion"; I just do what it takes to get the meat on the ground. Don't get me wrong there sir, I'm not going to take a gut shot just to shoot in fear of tainting my meat but I also a confident shooter and know over my 20+ years of bowhunting that you have more lethal shots than just the wheelhouse.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand about having more lethal shots than just the boiler room, but to purposely aim for small and/or inferior targets is irresponsible. Yes, I have accidentally gut shot/liver shot/ ham artery shot deer and have seen the effects in a dead deer. I have also had deer escape from the mortal wounds I placed on them due to those same shots. With a well placed shot, the odds increase rapidly in the favor of the deer dying a quick death, and anything else to me is not something I am going to "shoot" for....
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Hypothetically speaking it's during the rut, and your bowhunting,your presented with a quarting to 200" ginormous buck that closely resembles bullwinkle. Now knowing that a quarting to is a "low percentage shot" would you take it? I most certainly am going to let one fly. What would you do?

Quick Reply: Shoot or pass?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.