Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BH didn't open, pics added >

BH didn't open, pics added

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BH didn't open, pics added

Old 01-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sunday evenings hunt- BH didn't open

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: annika3

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

My buddy had the same problem with those same broadheads 2 years ago. He's a Slick Trick user now.
Is this the same guy on another forum that thinks when the Slick Trickblades shattered onimpact of bonethat it wasn't BH failure?
Is there a Broadhead stronger than a Slick Trick? Steel and Stainless Steel construction.I don't know of anything that is totally indestructible.

I'll gladly shoot any medium with Tricks against any other head out there to perform a toughness test.

I guarantee you they'll be close to the tops in several areas of testing.

Dan
I wasn't saying they are a weak head but when the blades shatter on impact of bone its BH failure. A lot of that depends on the rockwell of the blades. I understand that things happen so I don't take much stock in something that happens once. But when blades shatter it is failure on THAT head.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sunday evenings hunt- BH didn't open

This turned out to be a pretty good post. In summary, there is a BH that is right for everyone. Rage 2 blade is for me and I will let you know if it every fails. I can tell you that based on a previous post, I was worried about past throughs but after drilling a maple treeand bouncing back a few feet after passing through a deer, I doubt that I will have that problem. Sure it would have been impressive to stick the tree, but it sure was cool to hear that thump after penetration followed by a vibration of the blades. I cleaned the arrows last night and there was some minor damage where the blade forced back against the stop but it was just a nick. Tells me that the BH is working. I put new rings on and I am ready for spring. One question that I do have is for those shooting the longer distances holding pattern, have you determined the impact of wind compared to your FP? Again, I am not trying to get you to change to a mechanical, but I am curious how the wind changes your shooting. I shot near a very large field and it is typically windy and I notice that with FPs, the wind can change flight ~3-4 inches. This is at 50-70 yds. I would also be curious on how many changed from the rage 2 blade to something else and the reason for the change. OHbowhtr, you raised some great pts.