Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BH didn't open, pics added >

BH didn't open, pics added

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BH didn't open, pics added

Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default BH didn't open, pics added

I wasn't sure if I wanted to post this or not, due to the pissing match that will probably ensue. Sunday evening I hunted across the road from my house. 80 acres with a winter wheat field next to a creek bottom. I've been seeing anywhere from 8-12 does in the field at dusk every evening, so Sunday I decided to try to fill my last tag. Around 3:30 I hear something running in the timber behind me, does running everywhere. A fawn is towards the back with a coyote closing fast. The other deer scatter and leave the fawn and coyote to run out in the field alone. I dig out a fawn bleat and hit it a few times, hoping to call the yote back in for a shot. A few minutes later I hear something trotting in the timber behind me, its a yote with 2 others about 50 yards behind it.[>:]It is slipping through some brush and finally gets to an opening at 30 yards. I draw, pick a spot and shoot. The yote hardly reacts and slowly trots off the same direction it came from.Clean miss I'm thinking. I head over there and start looking for my arrow, which I find. Complete pass though, covered in blood. I'm kinda happy at this point, since its the ONLY passthrough I've had with these BH's. Then I get to looking at the BH....it didn't open![:@]The o ring rolled back on the arrow shaft, but the blades are spotless. I'm am pissed to the highest level!! I go back, get my backpack and follow the very sparse bloodtrail. I looked until dark, never did find it.
I've shot 2 deer with these BH's and the blades opened, but no pass throughs on either one. I get a pass through at 30 yards, the o ring rolls back and the blades have no blood hair or dirt on them. The fletchings and shaft are soaked in blood and hair. Did I shave its belly/neck? What gives? I will take pics on my lunch hour and post them. I'm stumped.[&:]
Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sunday evenings hunt- BH didn't open

I noticed a similar issue with some mechanicals I had. While practicing with them on an inch and 1/2 thick foam target they were not opening but nearly passing completely thru. On deer however I got pass-thrus with the blades opening. I'm guessing you hit the yote where there wasn't much resistance and they didn't open.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation,every one knows that by usingtodays modern laws of physics it is an impossibility for a mechanical head not to function properly every time.[8D]

Could itof been the make, yearor model of bow. Maybe the bow is tunned to poorly for proper function of head.
What kind of tree were you in? Was it a mechanical broad head friendly species?
Was your safety belt used properly for the type of tree stand you were in?
Was the outdoor temperature within the operating range of this broad head?
Carefully place the broad head on your table ,then turn your head and look at every other aspect of your hunting package for possible problems, it might take some time but eventually you will locate the source of your problem.

There are some guys out there that can point you in the right direction with a broad that will function every time.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

what brand bh?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jim, I know you hate mechanicals. I've already said I'm likely going to change to fixed blades next season. I'm trying to figure out whythis head failed to open, what I would have hit etc. Thanks for your normal smartassed reply though. I expected nothing less.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

what brand bh?
Hypershock 125
Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry double post

Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just don't understand why it takes so many failures for people to learn, sure they work most of the time,but a fixed blade works every time.
People spend thousands of $on the fastest bows,hundreds on the best arrows and god knows how much of sights ,releases and assorted gadgets.
Yet some still take a chance with broad heads.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used NAP Spitfires and they are awsome, i also used a rage 2 blade on a doe this year and got a passthrough and she fell at 40 yards. I think im going to stick with the spitfires in the future, we will see.

As for your situation, i would think that you still have a dead coyote out there somewhere, as long as you git a vital organ. A well placed arrow will kill an animal even with a field tip on it.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

I use them and one reason why is they pattern better than fixed broadheads for me. That's all.

Quick Reply: BH didn't open, pics added

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.