Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow weight and fps >

Arrow weight and fps

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow weight and fps

Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Arrow weight and fps

I just purchased a new bow and have it set up and ready to shoot. I just started bow hunting this year and have never been woried about speed. Anyway I am shooting Easton FMJ 340's, 28", Blazer steering wheels and tiped with G5 Montech stickers. Total weght of arrow is 462g is 262fps and the bow is set @ 65#.

Is this respectiable?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow weight and fps

Well, I respect it, and any game animal in front of you will be in serious trouble.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Yeah...you are good to go.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanx guys, I was thinking about going with the 400 FMJ's and droping 28gbut this thing is shooting well with this set up.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Yep. What you are really pushing for is a good set up. Speed can be deceiving. Not very good to have a fast bow, with a light arrow that doesn’t penetrate. Your set up sounds like it should be just fine.

A few things to consider when setting up a bow for hunting:

First and formost, bow tune is by far the most important.

Proper tuned arrows are a must.

Heavier shafts shoot slower, but penetrate better and shoot quieter.

Heavier shafts drop more than lighter ones. And unless you are shooting long ranges, it should not be an issue.

F.O.C. is more important than speed in my book. Along the line of a heavier arrow comes the concept of having more of that weight up front.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 PM

burniegoeasily...... bow's tuned, I am shooting bullet holes through paper. I haven't had it out past 20yds yet but I will tommorow. BH are grouping with FP @ 20yds as well.

as far as long range goes.... I am planning an elk hunt 2010 so I plan on practicing at ranges out to 80yds. I figure I might have to shoot up to 60yds on that hunt. Will this set up get it done or should I lighten the arrow?

My FOC is 10.7% I read that 10%-15% is good for a hunting arrow. True or not?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Scrat

burniegoeasily...... bow's tuned, I am shooting bullet holes through paper. I haven't had it out past 20yds yet but I will tommorow. BH are grouping with FP @ 20yds as well.

as far as long range goes.... I am planning an elk hunt 2010 so I plan on practicing at ranges out to 80yds. I figure I might have to shoot up to 60yds on that hunt. Will this set up get it done or should I lighten the arrow?

My FOC is 10.7% I read that 10%-15% is good for a hunting arrow. True or not?

You should have no problem. I was just trying to give more info than asked. As for F.O.C., Im a trad shooter, so my foc tends to be more like 15 to 20%. My compound arrows have a FOC of about 18%. But you are right, 10 to 15 should be fine.

I have never elk hunted, but from what ive been told by friend, you wont have to make long shots. In New Mexico, the elk rut during the bow seaon only, so I assume it would be similar else where. I have friends who have never shot an elk with a rifle because they could never get in range because the rut was over. But they killed and elk on every bow hunt. Others more experineced with elk might know better, but my buddies insist that they took shots under 45 yards on every elk.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Thanx berniegoeasily.

I was looking for some input(and reasurrance)before I went through the final tweeking.