Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stalking

Old 04-06-2003, 08:35 PM

Default Stalking

Anyone out there stalk? Do you find the deer bedded or up walking? When you stalk a bedded animal, do you get him in the bed or wait for it to get up?
Old 04-06-2003, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Stalking

Proud of this one, I shot him in 1997 with a 20ga. Stalked up on him in some nasty stuff . got off one shot. Spined him, the rest is history, guess I got lucky, I know it isnt with a bow but hey it was a stalk. And no, he would not stay in his bed, he boogered. If you can get a good shot at one in his bed, what the heck, I dont think thats like shooting a duck on the water. This is way different. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2003, 10:54 PM

Stalking is kinda risky when bowhunting in Ky. Ive never killed a deer on the ground with a bow. Ive came very close. I say only stalk a deer if you know exactly where it bedded down. If you dont know the exact spot that deers laying then its not gonna work out like u planned. It can work out well and a lot of big bucks have been killed during stalks but ill only try it if im really desperate and its close to the last of season.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you talking about actually spotting an animal and stalking or still hunting.

If you are talking about spot and stalk, cause you can' t stalk something unless you know it' s there, that is best done in areas that allow you to glass large amounts of land to find your animal. It' s almost always better to stalk an animal when it is bedded down dozing in and out. You need to plan your travel rout to the animal very carefuly paying attention to wind direction, bushes and land formations to conceal your stalk, vegetation that you don' t want to walk through because of the noise, other animals that might be in the area, position of the sun, and many other variables. It' s a good idea, especially if it' s real dry, to take off your boots and stalk the last 75 - 100 yards in your socks to significantly cut down on the noise.

As for shooting the animal bedded or waiting for it to get up, it depends on the situation. I say take the first shot opportunity that presents itself cause you might not get another one.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stillhunting is nothing more than a moving, close range version of spot-n-stalk. It' s my favorite way to hunt. I rarely have an animal that' s so cooperative as to station himself so he' ll be within 30 yards of me when I see him. They' re usually 50-100 yards away, so there' s almost always a stalk involved.

Stalking a bedded deer is a lot harder than stalking one that' s feeding. A bedded deer will almost always have the wind to his back and he' ll be watching out in front. If I spot a bedded deer (not the easiest thing to do), I' d rather wait for him to get up and start feeding or walking before making a move on him.

But you never know... IF it' s getting too close to dark to wait on him to move, and IF you walk on an angle towards him... acting like you don' t know he' s there and you' re going to go past his position... he might think he' s hidden and just lay low and stay put. When you get in range, turn and put an arrow into his chest. At least, you could have a chance with a quick shot from a stickbow. I seriously doubt he' d be dumb enough to let you take time to hook up a release and align your sight pin on him before you shoot.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:27 AM

I dont do much spot and stalk hunting, but I do still hunt from time to time. Most of the deer I see are up and walking.

Never shot a bedded deer with a bow. But, if I had the opportunity it would depend on the shot angle or the availability to hit the vital area.