Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success >

Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

congrats on a great doe
Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't had a deer go 100 yards when properly shot in ... well never. I don't think I'd be ranting about the virtues of the broadhead. You're treading on a slippery slope it seems. And this was a little deer. What if the thing weighed 200 pounds and was healthy.[8D] Not trying to start a fight, but I wouldn't accept those results. I'd change broadheads or tune my bow.
You may be right. When I first used the head last year that was my thought as well. I am confident that my bow is tuned properly (if you believe in the results of paper tuning) but I don't produce a lot of KE, about 62#. I decided that was not enough but then I began to find out from others that shoot over 70# that they also have fewer complete pass thrus than most of the "Rage advocates" will usually admit.

But I have come to the conclusion that a partial is as good as a complete other than arrow inspection. I have shot enough that I usually (almost always-maybe because my arrow speed is slow) know what kind of hit I made on the deer and the goal after the shot is to find a dead deer not necessarily an arrow sticking in the ground.

I have shot a mature buck with this broadhead last year with same results- partial but not complete but easy recovery.

I haven't had a deer go 100 yards when properly shot in ... well never. .
Not arguing that 100 yards seems excessive with a good double lung hit, but as long as I got a partial pass thru, how could that have anything to do with the recovery yardage as compared to a complete?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 AM

I've killed 16 deer with mechanicals, my arrows typically carried about 60# KE. I got a pass through 13 out of 16 times. The 3 times I did not get a pass through? Twice I used a 2'' cut mechanical and once I hit spine. If I used a head like the Rocket Miniblaster, Steelhead, or Sidewinder I always blew right through. (I also shot 6 more deer with fixed heads and got pass throughs). I'm not using 2'' mechanicals (Rage); I'll stick with conservative 1 1/2'' - 1 1/4'' heads; 60# KE is sufficient.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats again, Mike!!! You are laying'em down!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats jackflap!!

I used to kill 12 to 15 a year, but that turned Fun into work so I am not quite so Gung-Ho on killing anymore. I've only killed 3 so far this year.

Dan
Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I see it as another Almost failure. Really, less than 20 yards and no pass through. I'd say you don't have enough KE to really be shooting these heads or two, your bow is so far out of tune it's a wonder you kill anything. At the distances you're shooting you should have to use both hands to pull the damn arrow out of the dirt. I haven't had a deer go 100 yards when properly shot in ... well never. I don't think I'd be ranting about the virtues of the broadhead. You're treading on a slippery slope it seems. And this was a little deer. What if the thing weighed 200 pounds and was healthy.[8D] Not trying to start a fight, but I wouldn't accept those results. I'd change broadheads or tune my bow.
Were you there? Do you know all the circumstances of what happened? Was the deer moving, ducking or turning when he hit it? What did it actually hit? I hope you understand that just because a shot is 20 yards or less doesn't mean you are always going to get a passthrough, no matter what BH you use.

You know none of these answers but come on here and say nothing but negative things. Why don't you worry about what you shoot at let him worry about what he's going to shoot.

By the way, I've shot three deer, 280lbs-330lbs live weight with the Rage, all passthroughs and I'm shooting around 260fps.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot a lot of passthroughs with mechanicals. In fact most of the 30 to 40 deer I've killed with them, but IMHO you will have more consistent passthroughs on game with a fixed blade Broadhead.
To each there own!
I've walked both paths and even though the mechanicals are tempting. I canNOT take the chance. I'll stick with my tried and true.

One thing to remember. Whether you shoot a 1" cut, a 1 1/4" cut or a 2" cut, a Bad shot will always be a Bad shot. I think that's been proven many times on this board alone.

Dan
Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: annika3

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I see it as another Almost failure. Really, less than 20 yards and no pass through. I'd say you don't have enough KE to really be shooting these heads or two, your bow is so far out of tune it's a wonder you kill anything. At the distances you're shooting you should have to use both hands to pull the damn arrow out of the dirt. I haven't had a deer go 100 yards when properly shot in ... well never. I don't think I'd be ranting about the virtues of the broadhead. You're treading on a slippery slope it seems. And this was a little deer. What if the thing weighed 200 pounds and was healthy.[8D] Not trying to start a fight, but I wouldn't accept those results. I'd change broadheads or tune my bow.
Were you there? Do you know all the circumstances of what happened? Was the deer moving, ducking or turning when he hit it? What did it actually hit? I hope you understand that just because a shot is 20 yards or less doesn't mean you are always going to get a passthrough, no matter what BH you use.

You know none of these answers but come on here and say nothing but negative things. Why don't you worry about what you shoot at let him worry about what he's going to shoot.

By the way, I've shot three deer, 280lbs-330lbs live weight with the Rage, all passthroughs and I'm shooting around 260fps.
x 2. Individual circumstances attribute a great deal to results.