Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success >

Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

I am still on my quest to kill 10 doe off my friend's farm where depradation tags were issued for such, though I am only half way there.

Technically, I've still got 4 weeks of season left, but with various Christmas parties that my wife wants to attend (she is a real trooper in not nagging me about hunting in all my spare time for the last 2 1/2 months, its the least I can do in return), taking myson snowboarding during his school break (thats his real passion)and the holidays in general, my hunting days will be fewer and farther between from this point forward.

So with the rut winding down and nothing to show for itand this 1 1/2 yo doe presenting me the perfect shot opportunity, I took it. 19.5 yard broadside shot. Good shot placement. Arrow falls out approx 30 yards from impact. Doe piles up about 100 yards from impact. Blood trail was excellent not that it was needed as I was able to see doe go down.

I mentioned this the other day. I am getting more and more comfortable with the Rage once I accepted the fact that I probably wasn't going to get a complete pass thru. But a partial with the arrow ready for inspection 30 yards down an excellent blood trail that continues all the way to the deer is a good trade off, IMO.

This one is for you Big Country. #5 and I hope to add to it before the season is over. My ego is not yet satisfied for the year.

This one was so young I decided to keep this one for myself so I was extra careful about minimizing the amount of hair that got on the meat.

This is the exit hole. It measured just over 2.75". I am not sure how a 2"blade does that, but I measured it twice to make sure.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

Congrats on the fine doe jackflap
Old 12-08-2008, 02:40 PM

Congrats, I bought up on the hype this year with the rages and went with the three blades. I dont know if you have tried them or not but out of the four does I have shot this year I have got complete pass throughs on point of impact. On was a large maturedoe and the other three were all 2 1/2 year old does but still got complete pass throughs on all. Have you tried the three blades?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome hole!
Keep it up... I'm jealous... love shooting them baldies!

Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Keep at it.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats an amazing hole the rages put through a deer. i bought a pack of 2 and 3 blade rages this year but i yet have to shoot a deer with them and see the hole for myself. so far the rages are looking good
Old 12-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Congrats on the doe.
20 yard shot and the arrow doesn't pass completely through.
How much KE does your set-up produce?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I see it as another Almost failure. Really, less than 20 yards and no pass through. I'd say you don't have enough KE to really be shooting these heads or two, your bow is so far out of tune it's a wonder you kill anything. At the distances you're shooting you should have to use both hands to pull the damn arrow out of the dirt. I haven't had a deer go 100 yards when properly shot in ... well never. I don't think I'd be ranting about the virtues of the broadhead. You're treading on a slippery slope it seems. And this was a little deer. What if the thing weighed 200 pounds and was healthy.[8D] Not trying to start a fight, but I wouldn't accept those results. I'd change broadheads or tune my bow.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

Have you tried the three blades?
No I haven't.

20 yard shot and the arrow doesn't pass completely through.
How much KE does your set-up produce?
My set up only produces 61-62# KE. Between last year and this year, I have killed 6 deer with the Rage. Not a complete pass thru yet though all but one have been partials and all deer were easily recovered including two that were fairly long tracking jobs that I believe the Rage and its blood trail benefitted greatly.

Prior to the Rage and including two deer this year, I have used the Muzzy 3 blade and have always gotten a complete pass thru except one time. But the blood trail with the Muzzy is sometimes pretty sparse. I plan on using both for a while as I am not yet 100% sold on the Rage because of the pass thru issues (at least with my set up) but I sure like the holes and the subsequent blood trail.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulation's Mike!! Great shooting!!

If you have confidence In what your using, stick with It. Confidence Is huge, specially In bow hunting. Well done again Mike.

Quick Reply: Doe #5 - Rage-another partial pass thru but a success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.