Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Canning Venison

Old 11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Canning Venison

for the people who butcher your own deer. I was wondering if anyone took there meat. and put it into mason jars and canned it with different things in it like Mushrooms, Garlic, Peppers, anything like that? my house is running out of freezer room and a couple of my dads friends do this and it taste excellent, but anyone heard of this or does it. Any pointers on how to do it?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Canning Venison

Yep, do it all the time...

Pints...1/2 teaspoon salt and can at 10 pounds of pressure for 45 minutes...Quarts, one teaspoon salt and an hour and a half canning...
Just cube meat, pack jars to within a inch of the top, add water and take a knife and run around meat to bring air bubbles to the top, then
re-add water to within an inch of the top, add salt and seal...

I don't add other veggies for a couple of reasons:

The stock makes the best vegetable soup stock in the world...Just add veggies, 2 cans of crushed tomatoes and cook on low for a couple of hours...

A quick and easy meal...Make some rice or mashed potatoes...Warm canned venison in fry pan, add a little water and flour to thicken, add salt and pepper to taste and put on top of rice or potatoes...

BBQ...Warm canned venison, add to hot dog roll and cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, chips and a cold drink...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

My entire doe went into canning jars. 14 quarts to be exact and I use it to make BBQ and stews and the like. MMMMm MMMMm it's good. I also just fry it up and eat sandwiches. MMMMm

Not sure about pointers on the how to, you have to do it right though. My mother did it for me we don't have the necessary equips and time. I know you pack the cans, add salt and then pressure cook it XX time and let sit to seal.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

My father has done this a few times, good stuff!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

We make stews and chili and can those up. I have thought about canning the meat but, since it would likely be stew or chili anyway, we just make that and can it. It's very easy to do if you have the stuff. The initial investment runs around $250 (canner, hot water pot, jars) but we also can all kinds of other stuff.

http://www.canningpantry.com/