Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Canning Venison

Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Canning Venison

Anyone hear of cold packing deer meat. I understand it tenderizes it and makes it great. I am looking to can deer meat and would appreciate recipes, help and ideas from the campo chefs in this forum....
Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Canning Venison

Canned Venison Stew

1 lb. Venison stew meat cubed
1 Beef bouillon cube
1/2 cup Lima beans
1 cup Potatoes, diced
1/2 cup String beans
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Celery, sliced
1/8 cup dry red wine
2 Tbs. Onion, chopped
1 Tbs. Drake's crispy fry mix
1/2 tsp Garlic, sliced
1 cup Warm water
2 Tbs. Home cured venison ham or reg. ham
Pack raw ingredients in quart jar in above order to within one inch of top, seal and process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 AM

you can can venison just like you do beef. Basically take the deboned meat, roast it till its browned, but not done.Pack it hot quart jars, ladle in hot broth leaving about an inch of head space.

Add a little salt, and process for 90 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.We did this years ago when freezer space was limited.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Spike

I came across a way to can venison that dosn't use a pressure cooker, you just use your oven. Remove all the racks except the bottom one and preheat at 250. Fill quart jars with cubed meat leaving about an inch of space or till where the neck starts on the jar. Put a good tablespoon of Lipton dry onion soup mix on the meat and put lids on the jars. Place the jars on baking sheets and put in the oven. My wife and I usually start the cooking at about 8:00pm and you cook for 2 1/2 hrs so at 10:30 you turn off the oven but don't open the door because want the heat to stay inside the oven. You then leave the jars in the oven untill morning and by then they are sealed tight and ready for use. The flavor is out of this world.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Don't do it. ITS NOT SAFE!!!! If you are canning meat or any low acid foods you need to use a pressure canner. You hear every year of some new way but they are not sientifically approved or tested. You could kill yourself or one of your family is that really worth skipping on saftey? If this is a proper food preserving technique lets see the data, who tested it , where and on what. I can provide the same info on pressure canning.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Big Guy01

Don't do it. ITS NOT SAFE!!!! If you are canning meat or any low acid foods you need to use a pressure canner. You hear every year of some new way but they are not sientifically approved or tested. You could kill yourself or one of your family is that really worth skipping on saftey? If this is a proper food preserving technique lets see the data, who tested it , where and on what. I can provide the same info on pressure canning.
I agree 100 %.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have cold packed my venison for years with good results...

Most importantly, if you want a good product, it must be clean and free of hairs, fat, bloodshot, etc. .Use only good lean meat.. Save the shanks, neck meatand other less desirable parts for grinding..

I cut the meat into chunks about 1" square... Pack raw into clean jars, leaving a little headspace... No liquid is necessary.. I put 1 teaspoon salt in a quart or 1/2 teaspoon in a pint, but that's optional...Sometimes I substitute beef boullion cubes for salt, and sometimes I put in a small slice from a garlic clove...

Screw the lids down tight and process 90 minutes in a pressure canner...

That's all there is to it..
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Ditto to Pygmy^^^

I just do the salt though.

I would sugest getting a decent canner and there is a guide with it. Also BAll canning book is great also.

I have not found a person yet who does not think canned venison is just amazing!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Can I use my 6 qt pressure cooker to can deer meat properly? Do I need a wire rack to keep the jars from bumping each other or can I use a rack to keep the Mason jars off the bottom? My cooker doesnt have a dial gauge or a weighted gauge so can I just get the pressure up until it starts to whistle and cook for 90 min? I'm trying to nail down this procedure without buying another pressure cooker. Anyone help, thanks. -Mike
Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Big Guy...Pressure canning is the safe way to do it....I do mine at 15 lbs. pressure (due to my elevation) for 75 min. for pints. I do, however, believe the original poster asked for cold pack method, which to me says water bath. I have friends and some relatives who use this method, and have for years. Not that I agree with it, but it's how they have been doing it. Usual prep deal...meat into cubes, tsp. of salt added, meat 1" below top of jar. Lids screwed on tight, placed in boiling water bath for 3 hrs. Nobody has gotten sick from it yet....

Quick Reply: Canning Venison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.