Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK...I found him, now what >

OK...I found him, now what

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK...I found him, now what

Old 11-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default OK...I found him, now what

I located the hoss I have been after all season. Truley thedominant buck in the area. He is smart, and has done everything to avoid going down so far this year. Im wondering...Im going in on my climber about 30 yrds from hiscore area where I have seen him bedding and mid day lounging. I have tried everything so far, grunting, bleating, tinks wicks, and all I have gotten him to do is circle me and tryto wind me...without a shot opportunity...I have cut the antlers off a buck I shot earlier this year and going to try and rattle him in.

How affective is rattling at this stage of the rut. Its the only thing I havent done, and since he seems to be the dominant one in the area, he may come to a fight. Any suggestions. By the way, I saw him today, a true 12 pointer wityh a droptine on left beam. Easily 240 plus on the hoof. Biggest deer I have ever seen in these woods. If the hounds get loose tomorrow it will be later in the AM, so I figure I will be there at first light egging him into a fight, and hopefully he will take me on.

Am I wasting my time rattling at this stage of the rut?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: OK...I found him, now what

Am I wasting my time rattling at this stage of the rut?
Nope! Rattling works well all through the rut. My best luck rattling has been In the pre rut but my brother has had great luck rattling all the way through the rut. Don't ask me what I'm doing wrong rattling during the rest of the rut, I haven't a clue.[8D] Just don't get to aggressive with your rattling. Be some what aggressive, but not to aggressive.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 AM
Dominant Buck

What makes you think he's "The" dominant buck?

You say he's smart.....but yet he's put up with you grunting, bleating, using scents (etc.), and you say all he's done is skirt around you?

How did you locate him?

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

These are all his. In about a 20 yard area.
I would say he is the dominant one, or at least the only buck in that area. I have seen him, and the 12 points on his head says to me that he is by far the biggest deer in these parts. His domain speaks for itself. And you asked how i found him? There are maybe a half dozen others I didnt get pictures of, but he has definately made it clear who owns this part of the woods!

I have moved my climber within 20 yards of this area, the grass is all matted down from him laying, and the trees are shredded all around "his" area. I know if I get him he will be the trophy of a lifetime for me. Maybe the biggest deer taken out of these woods. The hounds have kept him in this sanctuary, its a small area that the dogs cannot get to, and if the did they would need to be stitched up from the briars and thick brush surrounding this area. I happened to make friends with the farm owner and he lets me come in from the pasture side to avoid the thickest stuff.

Im showering with my dead down wind now and planning on staying there till dark. Last night he just disnt want to leave the area, maybe figured something was up. Im bringing two 4 point racks to rattle a bit to see if he wants a fight.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Hoyt....THE reason I asked you about his "dominance" is.....why chance it? I'd use rattling (or anything else) as a last resort.

Just because a buck is the largest racked buck in an area (or even the largest bodied).....it doesn't mean he's the dominant buck. What Im getting at is....he might not be looking for a fight.

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

At 6:00 am the noises this guy made would scare the hell out of anyone not knowing what it was. He seems territorial at best, and since I have tried everything else (bleating, grunting, scent) The only thing I havent tried was a non aggressive rattle sequence. If this doesnt work, I may go get the scatter gun and bonzai the area!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just curious, how do you know those are his rubs?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my opinion..

You say you are hunting right where he beds often. And he has been wise to your bleats and grunts.

Then he knows you are there. No doubt.

A rattling sequence will more than likely only further educate him at this point.

I don't know what stage the rut is in VA. But in Illinois.. the bucks are looking for the last does to go into estrous and they are traveling extensively to do so.

And this buck seems intent (according to you observations) to sit in his palace. Well then he likely is waiting downwind of his scrapes.. and going to them every eve before visiting the masses and looking for another love. Or visiting them in morning.. while returning to bed.

OR..

He is not anymore interested in breeding and more interested in surviving.

And likely it is the combination of the two.

I would find an area he would visit in daylight.. between the bedding area and his scrapes.. but get closer to the bedding area as I could.

If he's skirting you already when you call to him.. he'll do the same when you call to him again.

And if you've hunted him already.. close to his bed.. and not dropped him. He knows you are there.

This is a first for me. I have never given advice on how to hunt. And I feel arrogant for even doing it. It's just my opinion.. based on your observation.

Good luck to you. I hope you can get what you want.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

try some tarsal glands or some sort of a strong testosterone scents!!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Do what you want....but I'd try STEALTH first.

Quick Reply: OK...I found him, now what

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.