HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - OK...I found him, now what
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 AM
dukemichaels
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK...I found him, now what

Just my opinion..

You say you are hunting right where he beds often. And he has been wise to your bleats and grunts.

Then he knows you are there. No doubt.

A rattling sequence will more than likely only further educate him at this point.

I don't know what stage the rut is in VA. But in Illinois.. the bucks are looking for the last does to go into estrous and they are traveling extensively to do so.

And this buck seems intent (according to you observations) to sit in his palace. Well then he likely is waiting downwind of his scrapes.. and going to them every eve before visiting the masses and looking for another love. Or visiting them in morning.. while returning to bed.

OR..

He is not anymore interested in breeding and more interested in surviving.

And likely it is the combination of the two.

I would find an area he would visit in daylight.. between the bedding area and his scrapes.. but get closer to the bedding area as I could.

If he's skirting you already when you call to him.. he'll do the same when you call to him again.

And if you've hunted him already.. close to his bed.. and not dropped him. He knows you are there.

This is a first for me. I have never given advice on how to hunt. And I feel arrogant for even doing it. It's just my opinion.. based on your observation.

Good luck to you. I hope you can get what you want.