Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bald spots!!??

Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bald spots!!??

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: GregH

Over the years, on a lot of hunting shows, I've noticed that a lot of the mature bucks are running around with patches of hair missing from the top of their backs and sides. Could this be from rubbing their antlers there while using a licking branch?

I have personally never seen a buck with hair missing like that while hunting. All of the ones I've shot had all of their hair!
DEER FARMS!!!! Wild deer don't do that!!!!

Please elaborate. Why do deer farm bucks have bald spots?
Unhealthy??? I've never seen any of the bucks in my area with bald spots, at least not real noticeable ones, and I've done a lot of jacklighting through the years that I'd have thought I'd have seen at least one. Now go to a local deer farms, and I can find you a handful of deer with bald spots on them. Maybe it's the vaccinations they have to take, rubbing on the fences, unhealthy, or whatever, but that's the only place I've seen them in my area.

And we all know that several of these "PRO" hunters hunt in "Deer Farms." Hell Ted Nugent owns the biggest on in the state of Michigan don't he???
Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: GregH

Over the years, on a lot of hunting shows, I've noticed that a lot of the mature bucks are running around with patches of hair missing from the top of their backs and sides. Could this be from rubbing their antlers there while using a licking branch?

I have personally never seen a buck with hair missing like that while hunting. All of the ones I've shot had all of their hair!
DEER FARMS!!!! Wild deer don't do that!!!!

Please elaborate. Why do deer farm bucks have bald spots?
Unhealthy??? I've never seen any of the bucks in my area with bald spots, at least not real noticeable ones, and I've done a lot of jacklighting through the years that I'd have thought I'd have seen at least one. Now go to a local deer farms, and I can find you a handful of deer with bald spots on them. Maybe it's the vaccinations they have to take, rubbing on the fences, unhealthy, or whatever, but that's the only place I've seen them in my area.

And we all know that several of these "PRO" hunters hunt in "Deer Farms." Hell Ted Nugent owns the biggest on in the state of Michigan don't he???
Another mis-informed Ohio dude Shocker[:-]

Sunrise acers(ted's place)is about 900 acers. The Sanctuary is 12,000
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Wild deer with fence marks on their backs is not uncommon. Some go over, some go under. A deer that ducks a couple barbed wire fences every daymay display some bald spots.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Good theories but you only see it after the antlers are in full display each year. I never seen a doe with a bald back.
I seen it with me own eyes mates!
I agree with MOHO, that and using licking branches like GregH said.

Like MOHO, you never see immature bucks (small antlers) or does with the bald spots. Only a good set of antlers can reach that spot.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen both bucks and does with this.

Could be from a number of things...rutting, fences, thick brush, close call with a yote, etc.

I often see it on does during the rut...we know why.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rory x2
Old 11-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

Most of the bald spots I've seen come from going under a fence, I guess as they get older they dont mind rubbing against the fence...

Either that or it could be scars from fighting that just prevent hair from growing back...
This would also be my guess, I have seen and killed quite a few bucks that have had bald spots on their back, and there are alot of old fences so I guess it's from them crossing under them.