Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bald spots!!??

Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bald spots!!??

They dont get old enough around here....[8D]
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought that is was scars from fighting.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

They dont get old enough around here....[8D]
True!

Buck patterned baldness?[8D]
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: GregH

Over the years, on a lot of hunting shows, I've noticed that a lot of the mature bucks are running around with patches of hair missing from the top of their backs and sides. Could this be from rubbing their antlers there while using a licking branch?

I have personally never seen a buck with hair missing like that while hunting. All of the ones I've shot had all of their hair!
DEER FARMS!!!! Wild deer don't do that!!!!
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The buck I shot this past weekend had a bald spot. I was told by the taxi it was from ticks, it is one of the few places where a deer can reach back and chew on. Kinda of like a dog with fleas.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I asked this same question on here a year or 2 ago. I thought it might be from going under a fence all the time at first, but they can jump it just as easy. Thought it might be from something lacking in their diet during the rut (rutted out) but their overall coat would be lacking, not just up between or around the shoulders. Your guess is as good as mine!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tons of bald bucks running around here. It's from using the antlers to scratch their own back. I wondered the same thing until I saw a bedded buck scratching the hell out of his back with his nose about 90 deg. to his back. I don't think you see it as much(Greg) because of colder temps.their winter coat comes in much sooner. I think they are trying to get ticks off.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

True that mature animals can get it from fighting, fence etc. however most often it has to be a sign of unhealthy deer that may be over populated. I think everyone on this site sees plenty of mature deer that don't have these big bald spot you see the pro's shooting. It's kind of nasty if you ask me but sine you don't eat the hide it wouldn't stop the double lung shuffle from my end.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen iton capes brought in to me and deer my friends have taken and from two I've personally taken. Usually at the bald spot,there's scar tissue there. Mostly from broadheads.(one actually still had the broadhead in him) Sometimes there's bone missing under the hide. Maybe a gun wound then.

I've also read that the average 'mature' buck had at least 30 notable scars on his hide. (one of those deer and deer hunting type studies) Everything from having sticks jabbed in them to fences, cars, hunters and of course, other deer.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good theories but you only see it after the antlers are in full display each year. I never seen a doe with a bald back.
I seen it with me own eyes mates!

Quick Reply: Bald spots!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.