Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bald spots!!??

Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default Bald spots!!??

Over the years, on a lot of hunting shows, I've noticed that a lot of the mature bucks are running around with patches of hair missing from the top of their backs and sides. Could this be from rubbing their antlers there while using a licking branch?

I have personally never seen a buck with hair missing like that while hunting. All of the ones I've shot had all of their hair!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bald spots!!??

ORIGINAL: GregH

Over the years, on a lot of hunting shows, I've noticed that a lot of the mature bucks are running around with patches of hair missing from the top of their backs and sides. Could this be from rubbing their antlers there while using a licking branch?

I have personally never seen a buck with hair missing like that while hunting. All of the ones I've shot had all of their hair!
DEER FARMS!!!! Wild deer don't do that!!!!
Nontypical Buck

I always thought it was a sign of avery mature stud buck....kinda like me.
Fork Horn

If there big mature bucks I would assume its from rubbing or even fighting. I'v never seen bald spots on the bucks I've killed but they are also not big mature bucks.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the bald spots I've seen come from going under a fence, I guess as they get older they dont mind rubbing against the fence...

Either that or it could be scars from fighting that just prevent hair from growing back...
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the only buck we had on camera that had the bald spot. We looked for hair on fence rows and around scrapes but never found any. He was rubbing it off somewhere.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a mature 156" class buck two years ago with bald spots on him. He was full of ticks and caused the hair to slip. Subsequentlythere was a bald spot right where I aim to put one through his boiler room!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always thought it was from fighting. But I've never really researched it.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: GregH

DEER FARMS!!!! Wild deer don't do that!!!!

Please elaborate. Why do deer farm bucks have bald spots?
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bald is beatiful

I thought it was from fighting, but I know diddle

Quick Reply: Bald spots!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.