Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode >

I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

Old 11-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Default RE: I thought I heard Matt/PA head explode

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA
I have to listen to an almost daily basis of horror stories of shots taken and deer wounded and/or lost by "Regular Bowhunters" who supposedly know what they are doing even from my ARCHERY club.
So if crossbows are the rifles of archery, why not allow these slob archers to use the fae superior killing weapon?

I am not kidding, if it passes the year prior might bethe last PA archery license I ever buy.
Just to make sure I read this right, you will no longer hunt your home state if crossbows are allowed?

You have the ability to read, so read it correctly and answer your own question.

OK I misread....
answer this,

Is it the hunter or the weapon?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Its both, its the fact that these slobs will now have the ability to use a weapon that they have no true knowledge of to attemp to kill an animal.

Matt, I hear ya brother, people from other states just can't understand what your "typical" PA hunter truly is. Nothing beats hearing the sound of 5 guys un-loading their rifles at a group of deer running across a field 250 yards away. Nothing beats those bursts of 4 or 5 shots within seconds during rifle season. Nothing beats that mentality that these hunters have that its better to just shoot and hope to hit.... hell, that way you have a chance of maybe hitting that animal. How about the road hunters, they are gonna have a field day with this one, have a loaded crossbow on the seat of their truck as they drive down dirt roads during archery season. O yes, these are the lovely "fellow hunters" that truly represent the heritage that is hunting in our great state of Pennsylvania!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet
Its both, its the fact that these slobs will now have the ability to use a weapon that they have no true knowledge of to attemp to kill an animal.
I hate to break it to ya but it happens every day with longbows, rifles, muzzleloaders and compounds too. I guess that makes us all slob hunters.

It's not the weapon, it's the person behind it and you can't regulate stupid out of the woods any more than you can out of the gene pool.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Matt, I hear ya brother, people from other states just can't understand what your "typical" PA hunter truly is. Nothing beats hearing the sound of 5 guys un-loading their rifles at a group of deer running across a field 250 yards away. Nothing beats those bursts of 4 or 5 shots within seconds during rifle season. Nothing beats that mentality that these hunters have that its better to just shoot and hope to hit.... hell, that way you have a chance of maybe hitting that animal. How about the road hunters, they are gonna have a field day with this one, have a loaded crossbow on the seat of their truck as they drive down dirt roads during archery season. O yes, these are the lovely "fellow hunters" that truly represent the heritage that is hunting in our great state of Pennsylvania!
LOL! And how do these same slobs not have access to a compound to go out there with the same mentality?

What about the rifle hunters who have the one shot one kill mentality, or the bowhunters who fling arrows with the lets hope I hit mentality.Oh the mindset change we would have if an arrow made the sound of a bullet on the shot...Again you are classifyinga weapon, by the mindset of the few badapples of hunters out there using said weapon.

Why do PA guys think they are a special breed of slobs? DT says the same thing about NJ. Pa guys about PA....GA about GA.....KY hunters about KY......guess what guys, there are terrible hunters in every state! lol I think you'd be shocked just how many terrible hunters live past the PA state lines.

And I know it's irrelevant.....but I've never seen a crossbow that I could stick out my window to shoot a deer...unless you drive a MAC perhaps....Now that liberty bow?

You can't crucify a WEAPON because of bad hunters in the woods. There are just as many no good, slob, sob bowhunters as there are crossbow hunters....I just dont understand all the negativity.

KY Crossbow hunters have Oct 1-19 and Nov 8-Dec31 to hit the woods, basically 2.5 months....and guess what? Our world didn't fall apart, our deer keep on keeping on....I wouldn't feel threatened one bit if they offered them Jan and Sept...the months we get that they don't....what's the big deal? If some slob wants to hit the woods without respect for the animal or wounding one, they can still go with a compound just as easily.

And not to ruffle feathers, but I think we put WAY to much stock in just how hard it is to get to killing groups with a bow. I'll put $100 that if you give me a guy who has NEVER shot a bow in his life but is normal and healthy...we can have the bow sighted in and sub killing sized groups out to 20-30 yards in no time, 1 hour or less. I recently switched sights....know how many shots it took me to be hitting softballs anywhere to 45? 16. Granted I shot probably 100 more after that, but I didn't touch my sights after the 16th shot. Wasn't it quick who last year or the year before went and killed a deer the afternoon he bought a bow and set it up just to prove a point how easy it CAN be??

Old 11-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I know exactly what he's saying (Matt)...and it makes perfect sense...unless you just want to argue.

Let me ask you two questions:

1. If you outlawed ALL gun seasons.......would poaching increase or decrease?

2. Of you outlawed ALL guns.....would gun-related crimes go up or down?

Don't give me the 2nd amendment mantra answer. Give me the truth.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guarded Matts back on this subject one other time.....and we both took alot of heat about it. I'll do it again. Alot of you people have no idea of the mentality of " the orange army ". I think the statement " if it's brown it's down " originated here in Pa. Never mind cripples, shoot till one drops. After working for 16 years in gun/bow shops, I know the mentality well. I quit rifle hunting in 1979 because of this. Get the deer at all costs, before it goes to someone else who will blast away like he has an M-16 in hand. I have belonged to the United Bowhunters of Pa since it's inception, fighting for our season, only to see it slipping away. Alot of us are passionate about this subject because bowhunting is a way of life with us, it's not just a sport.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Seriously, if you don't live and hunt in PA you really need to keep your opinions to yourselves on this subject.

TEmbry, you ask a valid question, and it is not the weapon's fault, however, the perception of the slobs tha the weapon is something that it isn't is the problem. Legalizing that weapon sends them into the woods with a lack of knowledge and misconceptions about what they are hunting with. Who suffers for it? The deer who are shot by hunters who do not effectilvely learn their weapons.

I would be all for a proficiency test for all hunters. It would be an incovenience for me, but would benefit this state greatly.

So for all you guys that want to argue with us PA boys either come here and hunt the opening day of gun season with us or shut your traps. Until you have seen what goes on in this state you really cannot understand.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

The only slight bright spot to this is that maybe we'll see less wounded deer this way.
I don't quite follow this logic. How is allowing a crossbow to be used during the entire archery season going to account for less wounded deer?

Yep!! Less wounded Deer with a Crossbow?? Someone must be kidding, Right?[&:]

Dan