Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Had a portable bow press explode >

Had a portable bow press explode

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Had a portable bow press explode

Old 03-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Had a portable bow press explode

Had an old poratble bow press calle "The Lapper" explode in my lap last night and it almost took off my finger and ruined the bow.

I bought a new, seemingly better built portable press called the Bowmaster and I was wondering what, if any experience any of you have had with it? I need a true vote of confidence in this thing before I use it............

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 03-03-2004, 06:37 PM

Default RE: Had a portable bow press explode

Glad you are okay and I hope that bow wasn't the Pat! [X(]

As far as portable bow presses go....... well, I just don't know about them things! I would rather use a actual press like the Apple press's instead of a portable bow press! It isn't that the portable bow press's are "bad" its just that I put more faith in a "regular" bow press!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a Bowmaster almost exclusively for about 3 years without any problems. Works very well. I keep a close eye on the cable and the stops on the cable, but as of now, I couldn't live without it. I use it to do all my work. Replace strings, peeps, drop aways etc. Can't go wrong with the Bowmaster for this.

I'm just glad you're ok. What kind of bow did it destroy? Thats a damn shame.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a Lapper about 15 years ago. Quit using it 13 years ago because I didn't trust it. Didn't even know they were still on the market.

I've got a Bowmaster that I use when I absolutely have to. I'd much rather have my bow taken down on a full size press. Actually, I wish to goodness they'd make bows again that you could relax by simply backing off the limb bolts. It seems to me they'd do that for liability reasons, if for no other. Having limbs still under a good bit of tension when the limb bolts hit that last thread is dangerous.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:51 PM

I've been building and selling some of these and they work on just about any bow. Very long limbed bows might present a problem but I haven't seen one yet. This is all I use and they work very well on the VFT style bows

Old 03-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Typical Buck

Nice press gimp! How much are you selling them for out of curiosity? I did have the Patriot in the press when the press exploded. Fortunately, the bow came out relatively unscathed. It seems the draw stop took some of the shock and slid toward the "S" mark about 3/4". Other than that, I've got a blemish on my Drop Zone rest and one on the riser by the rest. I shot it last night and all seems well - knock on wood.............

Thanks for the input on the Bowmaster.

Fritz
Old 03-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been building and selling some of these and they work on just about any bow. Very long limbed bows might present a problem but I haven't seen one yet. This is all I use and they work very well on the VFT style bows
I take this to mean you are taking orders again?

Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

mrfritz--Gimp's portable is 'not' the Bowmaster, it's called the Bowmender--exactly what you needed when your press exploded.
I have one of these myself (got it from Russ) and it works fine on my Parallel-Limb.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

mrfritz--Gimp's portable is 'not' the Bowmaster, it's called the Bowmender--exactly what you needed when your press exploded.
Sorry for the confusion...........I have the Bowmaster and realize Gimp's is not called that. I was thanking the others for their original input on the Bowmaster.

Fritz
Old 03-04-2004, 10:32 AM

I've got a "list" that's been growing so I've been working on them. I got my turkey calls done for the Nebraska BowHunter's Association Banquet this weekend so I'm back in "production"