Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your daypack??

Old 03-30-2003, 04:29 PM

Default your daypack??

If we could see in your day pack what would we see? I am looking to buy a new pack, I currently use an old black backpack but I want to get something better suitted I know enough to carry water, knife, first aid kit, snacks, calls maps+compass and a game bag but what else could help?
Old 03-30-2003, 04:37 PM

Default RE: your daypack??

I have found a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide handy, trying to decipher a blood trail from red speckled maple leaves is easy by spraying them. If they foam it is blood if not ....
Old 03-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

My pack is setup for both deer or elk hunting, mostly elk.

In addition to what you' ve mentioned, I carry 2 knives, one on an outside pocket on my pack the other inside.(backup) Also a carbide knife sharpner-- space blanket (you never know) 2 flashlights--one small mini mag again on outside of pack, the other is a headlamp style for hands free walking or dressing out an animal in the dark. I also carry a leatherman on outside of pack pocket. (what a handy tool) I carry 2 elk bags instead of one. Orange flagging tape. 3/16 rope 50ft. 12" buck saw for head and leg removal. Fire starting material in zip lock bag.
Disposabal camera. Gps. Tylenol aspirin. 10 extra .357mag shells for side arm. Extra batteries, I make sure everything I carry uses the same size batteries, so only need one size. All this in a Crooked Horn Daypack, fully loaded weighs 12 pounds. elknut1.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

What about toilet paper?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pee Bottle if on stand in seperate denim bag with hanging cord.. Surveyors tape. lures,calls,Drag rope.compass,candy,lunch.strap on steps to hang pakand bow or gun.Binnoculars.rangefinder,cord to pull up bow or gun.Two flashlights,Two knifes. extra batteries. frs radio, electronic game finder. shooting rest if gun hunting. extra gloves, spare release,mosquito headnet.pen to fill out tag. couple of extra shells, Boot blanket in winter, thermos or water bottle. and a caddy to carry it for you
Old 03-30-2003, 06:24 PM

Carry a Few scent bombs, those always help after your sitting there and that big buck doesnt follow the trail in that you want it to. Also carry matches. And about that pee bottle.... What is the need, whip it out and pee over the edge, many years of hunting and the only distraction deer have gotten from it is smelling it at the base of my tree.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Mossy Oak Breakup ' Black' s Creek Guides Gear bag with hydration pouch. What I put in the bag depends on my plans for the next day. A 70 oz water bladder, first aid kit/survival lit w/extra food, lunch and snacks for the day, gps and plenty if spare batteries, Tec LED headlamp, Mini Mag Light, two knives, 4 elk bags, range finder, binoculars, maps, toilet paper, trail marking tape, field dressing kit and processing [I' ll bone out my animals unless help is available], cow calls three different kinds, grunt tube, one, two, and three reed bull calls, knife sharpener, hunting license, compass for back up, disposable 35mm camera.

This is a hard list to prepare because it varries depending on wheather, and so many other variables that I generally put my day bag together before I crawl into the sleeping bag the night before. I used to spike camp out but I' m too old to do much of that any more . . . but would if the need arose.