Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broken Sight Pins? >

Broken Sight Pins?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken Sight Pins?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Broken Sight Pins?

Who has had their pins break or fibers break during crunch time? It is just getting hot and heavy here, and I get on stand the other day to find my middle pin really messed up in the fiber department. Vital Gear wraps 3 feet of fiber around each ring for every pin, and somehow every wrap of the middle pin was severed..leaving 3-4 separate strands of fiber on that ring. Must have caught on briars or something?

Anyway, not having a middle pin in low light conditions isnt that crucial, because if it is too dark for that pin, its too dark to be shooting that far. Either way, it is a major inconvenience and I cant send off the sights right now to be fixed.

So that gave me an excuse to buy new sights. I bought a set of the Vital Gear Pentagon sights, same angled pin setup as my current sight, just 5 pins instead of 3. It already comes in a green, yellow, green color scheme...so when it gets in Ill slap it on and sight it in one afternoon. This will let me send in my old sights to get fixed and have as a spare.

Anyone else ever experience similar hitches in equipment during prime time?[:'(]
Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broken Sight Pins?

Never during prime time, but ive had 3 different pins on my viper sight break[:@]. Not very impressed with them at all.

When im in stand im always going over my bow and equipment to make sure everything is in running order...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Did the same on a G5 sight, got turned around in the dark and had to come out in some briars lost 3 of 5 strands that night.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Broke my 50 pin on my RT extreme, Still usable, and I doubt Ill be taking any 50 yrd shots.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick me, Pick me...

Broke the fibers on my 20-30-40-50 yrd pins, no idea how. Must have been on some brush on the way in. It sucked.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

That's the exact reason I put a sight pin cover over my sight while going into/out of stands...I think it was made by HHE or something and was around $5. Pretty cheap insurance.....
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

actually its HME.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat602580&id=0046513418067a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0046513&parentId=cat602580&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233& hasJS=true
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM

I've got my bow on a shoulder sling and my hand naturally rests over the sight to protect the pins going through brush. Even at that I had 4 of 5 break on my last goat hunt coming out. I've since changed to the new metal optic style pins on all my new sights so that brush can't get between the fiber and the pin body. Another thing I look for is to ensure that I can replace the fibers myself if need be. I've got feet of spare fibers in my tool box for just that. Here's the best protected sight I've found so far: http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop...ducts_id=10332
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had my sight break when the TSA jerkoff either dropped my bow or used it as a baseball bat.

Never when I was walking to/from the stand or on a stalk though.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:52 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

I had my sight break when the TSA jerkoff either dropped my bow or used it as a baseball bat.
LMAO!

I have spare fibers to fix it myself, but only 8" strands and they arent near as bright as VBG fibers....I bought a spare sight last night, got the 5 pin.....Ill send in my three pin to be rewrapped in GYG color scheme (needed to anyway) and ask for a spare pin guard for my 5 pin sight. Ill have two now, and if I get a second bow in the next year or two, ill have a sight already for it.

I plan on buying that pin cover tonight btomlin, saw that last night....great little purchase for 6 bucks.

Good to know Im not the only one, lol[:'(]. The fiber is still bright enough for most hunting conditions, but my other rings literally glow in the dark, and this one is unseen at night. These fibers are so bright, I could easily hunt in the pitch black if I could only see my peep. They glow on their own...mainly due to having a yard of fiber collecting light for each pin.