Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Experienced rut hunters.....questions... >

Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

The guys I hunt withkilled a couple of does(none had stinky/discolored tarsals) but a couple of the bucks did(but notfull blown where the backs of their entire lower leg looksblack & sticky).
I've never seen a doe that did. I don't think that does urinate down their legs and rub their tarsals together. If they do, that's a new one for me. I've seen bucks do it many times but never a doe.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg I've never realy seen it on doeseither but I read somewhere that a doe near/in heat can have brown discoloration to their tarsals(similiar to a bucks)and that after being bred or coming out of heat they lick them clean. I don't know for sure but after reading thatI thought I would at least pay a little more attention to it this season but so far the ones on the does I have seen have looked pretty normal.

Here's one of the articles I read but there were several more, i thought it was interesting and I'll be looking over the next few weeks just to see if it holds any water.

Deer Communication
Old 11-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Another blog excerpt

http://morethanapursuit.blogspot.com/

Chase Phase: To quote Dickie V, “It’s primetime with a capital A!” Boy is it ever; the chase phase is by far my favorite time not only to hunt. Bucks are all jacked up on testosterone and are bouncing from doe group to group looking for an estrous doe. This is your best chance to tag a mature buck. This is your best chance to dupe Mr. Big as he has one thing and one thing only on his mind, estrous does. So, what are the best call, decoy and scent for hunting the chase phase? None of the above, that’s right, hunts the does. Big bucks are hunting does this time of year and, while it’s a simple concept, Damin and I are too. I have always said that the best lure for a mature buck is a mature doe. Damin and I hunt primary food sources this time of year as this is where we will have the best chance of seeing does. In fact, many times we hunt certain doe groups or families, as we know their tendencies and habits and know that eventually they will tempt in a big buck. Still, mature deer didn’t get old and big by being dumb. While it may seem that bucks are running around with no care in the world, this is actually not the case. Mature bucks use the knowledge they learned of their doe groups during the seek phase and apply this to their ‘hunting’, for does. Damin and I study, apply and utilize the topographical features of our property during this time. The scouting that took place during the shedding season allows us to hang stands in transition zones and funnels, hoping to catch a buck travel from doe bedding area to doe feeding area or vice versa. It is also during this time when we hunt the most aggressive. Hunting over buck decoys, mixed with aggressive rattling and calling work best during the chase phase. Combining estrous doe bleats with tending grunts works especially well now, as it simulates a buck tending a hot doe and this catching the attention of every buck in the vicinity. Quick summary: This is when deer hunting is at its best. We hunt hard, but smart at the same time. We are hunting doe concentrated areas, utilizing topographic features and become very aggressive with our calling because it is prime time baby!
Alright, I know this is an excerpt but in the same paragraph about the chase phase, the author contradicted himself. What am I missing or don't understand here? Look at the red/blue highlights.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think that does urinate down their legs and rub their tarsals together. If they do, that's a new one for me.
I've seen this. I think I made a thread about it....but it was a couple years ago (I still remember where I was and the tree I was in). I couldn't get over how long she took in doing it, either. She was at it for a while.

I found the post.....

-------------------------------------------------

What's the strangest thing you've seen while bowhun... - 1/9/2007 12:40:38 PM

showPicture("1/9/2007 12:40:38 PM",0,0,0,1913492,19)

GMMAT

titleAndStar(18528,0,false,false,"","")
Life Member

[align=center][/align]

[blockquote]quote:

Also watched a pair of hound dogs drown a racoon.
[/blockquote]

I'd love to have seen that fight.

I guess the best thing was the 5 pointer I had bed down 14 yds from me, this year. He waited on the other deer to come out......and then he initiated the first of four sparring matches I saw, that day, between 6 different little bucks.

I also watched 4 bucks work the same scrape, one morning.

I saw a doe peeing on her tarsals, this year.

My son and I saw 65 turkeys enterour set on Thanksgiving morning '05.

I saw a deer I estimate @ 5+ yrs (doe).....and was amazed at what a REAL mature deer looked like.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Another blog excerpt

http://morethanapursuit.blogspot.com/

Chase Phase: To quote Dickie V, “It’s primetime with a capital A!” Boy is it ever; the chase phase is by far my favorite time not only to hunt. Bucks are all jacked up on testosterone and are bouncing from doe group to group looking for an estrous doe. This is your best chance to tag a mature buck. This is your best chance to dupe Mr. Big as he has one thing and one thing only on his mind, estrous does. So, what are the best call, decoy and scent for hunting the chase phase? None of the above, that’s right, hunts the does. Big bucks are hunting does this time of year and, while it’s a simple concept, Damin and I are too. I have always said that the best lure for a mature buck is a mature doe. Damin and I hunt primary food sources this time of year as this is where we will have the best chance of seeing does. In fact, many times we hunt certain doe groups or families, as we know their tendencies and habits and know that eventually they will tempt in a big buck. Still, mature deer didn’t get old and big by being dumb. While it may seem that bucks are running around with no care in the world, this is actually not the case. Mature bucks use the knowledge they learned of their doe groups during the seek phase and apply this to their ‘hunting’, for does. Damin and I study, apply and utilize the topographical features of our property during this time. The scouting that took place during the shedding season allows us to hang stands in transition zones and funnels, hoping to catch a buck travel from doe bedding area to doe feeding area or vice versa. It is also during this time when we hunt the most aggressive. Hunting over buck decoys, mixed with aggressive rattling and calling work best during the chase phase. Combining estrous doe bleats with tending grunts works especially well now, as it simulates a buck tending a hot doe and this catching the attention of every buck in the vicinity. Quick summary: This is when deer hunting is at its best. We hunt hard, but smart at the same time. We are hunting doe concentrated areas, utilizing topographic features and become very aggressive with our calling because it is prime time baby!
Alright, I know this is an excerpt but in the same paragraph about the chase phase, the author contradicted himself. What am I missing or don't understand here? Look at the red/blue highlights.
I believe what the author (me) was trying to say is that yes, hunting does during the chase phase have been me and my brothers most succesful 'strategy', if you will. Still, we are not going to limit ourselves to just one tactic I guess is what I am trying to say.

For example, last year I was hunting an extremely predictable group of does during the chase phase and was certain at some point throughout the morning a mature buck would come check them out as they stayed in a hickory flat ALL morning. Well sure shootin, about 10 here comes a 130" 8 point. Hunting the does ultimately lead me to the encounter of the buck.

However, had the does winded me, went to bed early or just abanonded their pattern I would have gotten aggressive (I was not going to do any calling or rattling with does in my presence, again the best strategy for the chase phase is to find the does and keep them there, or at best dont spook them away) and chances, with the big buck being within the vicinity, would have responded.

So I guess what I am trying to say is to not limit yourself to one tactic for each phase. The above story is a perfect example. I hunted the does hoping to catch a big buck, and I did (I didn't get a chance to harvet him, however, no ethical shot presented itself- but he's still out there this year). Had I hunted the wrong doe group for that morning- I would have gotten aggressive with calling.

I hope this helps clear things up a bit. I see now how it was easy to misinterpret the post.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Sunday I didn't see a deer until a 6 point walked under me at 9:30am thena different 6 walked the exact same path at 10:00 am.

To me all day sits are as much weather dependant as time of year (rut). I have trouble staying focused if it's sunny and warm. Throw in some inclimate weather Rain/Snow or cooler than average by 10-15 degrees and I can stay excited. If your gonna be fidgety and uninterested you may as well break up the day as opposed to saying I SAT ALL DAY. Thats just my perspective, but hunting is still to be fun and not a "chore". If action or interest level demands I stay, than so be it, but I won't just sit, to say I did.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lil guys are still excited here, two cowhorns (spikes) followed my scent drag right to my tree today and harassed some of my area does.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tuesday morning I had two spikes following a doe and after they left I tipped my bleat can over three times and I had a 6pt. walk by within 3min. from the time I tipped the can. Since that day it has warmed up everyday bringing record high temps. everyday. Tonite I drove home over 100 miles, I left work at 3:30 and drove through some good farmland and didn't see many deer at all. This just tells me that the activity is mostly after dark. I think the daytime activity is going to pick up drastically by the weekend here in wisconsin because we are expecting some rainy weather for the next couple days and then by Friday or Saturday it is suppose to cool down. I can't wait till Saturday if it cools down.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM

The buck I shot saturday was checking his scrapes. But I did see a buck in a field chasing does. In Ohio I am guessing it will be good hunting this weekend.