Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone fly w/Delta or Continental this season w/a bow case? >

Anyone fly w/Delta or Continental this season w/a bow case?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone fly w/Delta or Continental this season w/a bow case?

Old 10-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone fly w/Delta or Continental this season w/a bow case?

I'm flying out to Nebraska on Sunday with Delta & coming home on Continental. I'll be checking in my bowcase. While it will be well below the 50 lb. weight limit, I'm wondering if the length of the case will subject it to being classified as "oversize" and costing me more money?

Has anyone here flown with Delta or Continental yet this season? If so, how was your bow case viewed with respect to being oversized or not? My case is a Kalispell Aluminum single bow case. It's 24 lbs. empty- will be about 35 lbs. with my bow, arrows, quiver & some other accessories in it. It measures 6"x16"x43".

That said, I am fully aware that the airline industry is filled with the biggest scumbags who'll screw you over every chance they get. In my book, the airlines rank right up ther on the "scumbag scale" with those in the music industry & telecommunications industry.

Also, I'm fully aware of the fees associated with the number of bags per passenger for both Delta & Continental. I just would like some information based on firsthand experience (this year) with Delta or Continental with regards to checking in bow cases and any additional "oversize baggage" fees associated them.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone fly w/Delta or Continental this season w/a bow case?

Bump.

Nobody ??
Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to work as a flight dispatcher and know BA's regulations. The most logical thing to do is phone their customer service line or check out their terms and conditions online.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

They usually dont want it larger then 50lbs and larger then 60inches. Having said that they may view it differently depending on where your flying out of. for example, I flew out of Dullus in DC and got stock with every charge possible, however when i flew out of Billings MT i wasnt charged for anything. each airlines website usually will give you a description of what there looking for
Old 10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Delta is 50 lbs and 63 inches (L X W X T) is the limit. Fees apply for larger. It is 50 lbs and 62 inches for Continental.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I havent flown this season yet, but next week im flying out of newark to kansas on continental. I have flown to san antonio twice in the past with my bow and had no extra charges. Alot has changed in this past year though, so we will see soon enough.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM

I've found it really depends on whom you get at the counter and what mood they're in. Flying out of Kodiak I know most of the people at the counter (and it's AK Airlines) so I rarely pay excess fees but coming back I get stuck with them at the big anonymous airports flying some of the crappier airlines (Delta, United).

I'm sure if you got Remington Girl at the counter and gave her a right sexy wink you'd be all set!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I flew back from Colorado via Delta and did not have a problem with check it. I highly recommend UPS (ing) your bow out to where you are going though. The airlines are a little rougher on the equipment IMO.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I beleive the standard is 50 lbs and 62". My bowcase on the airlines in the past years has not had any problems (SKB Double Bowcase) but my local archery shop was warning me the other day about an overly critical airline employee they encountered. The airline employeewas saying their case was 64" and had to charge them an excess fee. He had the airline manager out there measuring the case with several different tapes and they finally concluded it was 62". The airline industryhave turned into some real a__holes. Flying is no longer enjoyable. You have to deal with the security procedures, rude employeesand the thought of them losing your bowcase going on a hunt. UPS, FedEx is a smarter way of doing it. On my return trip last year from a hunt, AA lost my bowcase.I wasveryirritated andthe agenttold me I could not do anything until the bowcase had been missing for 10+ days. They finally found it in DFW and sent it on the next aircraft but I could only imagined if they had lost it on the flight to my hunting trip. Sorry so lengthy post. It is a sore subject with me. I FedEx'ed my case this time. Leaving next week
Old 10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Either way, I have the Delta baggage regulations/policies printed out and will refer to them if the ticket agent attempts to bend me over.

One last question- is it possible to use the SkyCap and simply throw a brother a REAL good tip that would still be WAY less than the $150 fee for the "over 63 inch" baggage size limit? I'd much rather go that route and throw a blue collar worker some coin while sidestepping the suits/system.

Rob