Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 No More Small Bucks! >

No More Small Bucks!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No More Small Bucks!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: No More Small Bucks!

I totally agree with you dopler. If it is a young kid or first deer for someone then thats ok. But after a while everyone should start setting some higher standards. If a guy says I will not shoot a deer until it is 4 years old, even if it isn't a giant that at least lets the deer become mature to get to its full potential. The management program has been around for a long time and I think that it is time for people to start following it. Just my two bits...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

Since we're posting pics of our past hunting season, here's a pic of my 2006-2007 season. Do you have any idea how happy I would have been to get a spike deer? Hunting is a very personal thing and means different things to different people. If you're not happy with a spike, by all means, pass it up. But if someone else gets one, be happy for them. They were successful. I'm not a "youngster", and I've taken a few larger bucks, but if I get a spike, it's a big deal to me. It's a sad day when you can't be happy for someone getting a deer, no matter how small.
Wow ....GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you sir for your service and this post!!! I hope pthers let this put some things in perspective!!! Some of you are elitist PIGS ...get a life. [>:]
Tony Tony Tony "Elitist pigs" That a little tough. I'm thinking "Ignorant" might be a better term.

The part of the equation that some of these guys miss is the fact that 80 % of the hunters out there get to hunt less than five times per year. They have jobs,kids and families that come before tree time. Many people have physical & age limitations that too limit access and success.
Hunting is many things to many people.
Be thankful that you are afforded the opportunity to pass many bucks in your search foryour "trophy",but too berespectfulto the man that gets to tag his "trophy" within his restraints.

Then check the package I'm sensing you might have some binding taking place.
Ok Jim, I'll let it go at ignorant ....Great point on your post too!

For others reading this, Bawana is a guy that chooses to shoot big bucks ...he wouldn't shoot the bucks I would, but he will fight for my right and the right ofALL guys to kill what they want .... trophy hunters alike ..... he has the proper balance ,,,, on this subject at least
Old 10-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

...and everyone should shoot *X* brand bow, with *Y* rest, drive *Z* truck and think that Ginger looked better than Mary-Ann.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Madjac20

...and everyone should shoot *X* brand bow, with *Y* rest, drive *Z* truck and think that Ginger looked better than Mary-Ann.

Ya, I'm going with Mary-Ann on this one. The girl next door type is where its at
Old 10-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sticknstringer

I totally agree with you dopler. If it is a young kid or first deer for someone then thats ok. But after a while everyone should start setting some higher standards. If a guy says I will not shoot a deer until it is 4 years old, even if it isn't a giant that at least lets the deer become mature to get to its full potential. The management program has been around for a long time and I think that it is time for people to start following it. Just my two bits...
It IS ignorance ... Jim is right ..... you live where huge bucks abound ... you have zero idea how it is for others ... hence the ignorant part. As far as the management program goes, NOONE is advocating breaking the law ..... in NY a legal buck is one spike of at least 3" ...THAT IS the management program!!!When you judge others for what they legally kill, you do what PETA folks do and you become an elitist [&o]
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why are these threads always started by someone in a midwestern state well known for producing large numbers of large deer? I'll continue to shoot whatever the hell I want to shoot. If killing a 140" deer makes you feel like you have a bigger pair than me because I kill a spike take it up with your therapist. I'm comfortable with what I kill and with my masculinity.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dopler,

If you are preaching QDMA perhaps you shouldthink about ita little more from other hunters perspectives and realize many hunters don't have access to the types of resources required to fully implement a QDM program. You do know a true QDM program involves much more than just "not shooting little bucks"? Here are some statements from the actual QDMA site that might bring you up to speed. Most average joe hunters answer no to the questions below making QDM not a very realistic option, yes of course we can all do little things(food plots, doe harvest, etc) but realistically without a nice chunk of land, neighbor cooperation, funds, and lots of other necessary resources we are basically pissin in the wind. jmo

Is QDM Right for You?

Quality deer management is not a panacea and many things should be considered before implementing QDM practices on your hunting land. If you answer yes to the following questions, QDM may be right for you.

Do you have enough acreage to manage your deer population without being severely affected by hunting pressure on adjacent properties?

If not, will your neighbors join you and possibly others in forming a QDM cooperative?

Is the habitat on your hunting property adequate to produce and maintain a healthy deer herd? If not, do you and your hunting companions have the funds, equipment, and commitment to manage and improve the habitat?

Do the deer-hunting regulations in your state allow enough flexibility to manage your herd?

Does your state wildlife agency encourage and assist landowners with management and allow adequate doe harvests?

Are you and your hunting companions prepared to commit to a long-term (often five or more years) management program?

Do you and your hunting companions understand the financial, time, and energy commitments and have realistic expectations regarding a QDM program?

"When considering QDM, realistic expectations must be stressed. Management goals should be set with the potential of the local herd in mind. As a quality herd becomes established, it is important not to let expectations exceed the capabilities of the herd or habitat. Significant changes to deer herds and deer habitats do not happen overnight and often take several years to become obvious."

"QDM guidelines are formulated according to property-specific objectives, goals, and limitations."

"Originally, only large properties (1,000 acres or more) were involved in QDM, but smaller properties are now participating through the formation of QDM cooperatives comprised of several smaller properties with similar objectives."

Good luck forming a QDM cooperative with1000+acres and landowner cooperation/participation.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

Since we're posting pics of our past hunting season, here's a pic of my 2006-2007 season. Do you have any idea how happy I would have been to get a spike deer? Hunting is a very personal thing and means different things to different people. If you're not happy with a spike, by all means, pass it up. But if someone else gets one, be happy for them. They were successful. I'm not a "youngster", and I've taken a few larger bucks, but if I get a spike, it's a big deal to me. It's a sad day when you can't be happy for someone getting a deer, no matter how small.
Thanks Wiggy for your services!! Greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best thing you big buck hunters can do is habitat improvements on the land you have available. Good feed is just as important as age when it comes to growing horns.
You can piss and whine about things you have no control over,or get off the porch and and put some time and money into growing and keeping the bucks you want to shoot on the land that you have some say over. The balls in your court.

Tony, you make it sound like I could be opinionated.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll save everyone some time here. The only post worth reading is the one from Wiggy. Read it, take a deep breath from hearing his perspective, and go to the next thread.

Thank you sir for your sevice.

Quick Reply: No More Small Bucks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.