Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad shot

Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad shot

I have seen liver hit deer backtrack. You may want to double check in areas where you are sure the deer will not be.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerStalker80

I shot her at 745 am. Got out of the tree 30 minutes later looked at my arrow. Didnt look to good lots of blood just very little lung blood. I think I nicked the lung and bunched the liver. Got out of there. Went back at 1145 had extremely dark blood pools in some places but never where she layed down. Then tracked for about 300 yards never found her. Did grid searching by myself and never even saw sign looked in every down tree every where didnt find her. I looked for about 2 hours.
The dark blood sounds like liver for sure. I really find it hard to believe she went 300 yards, like I said before, a liver shot deer will bleed a ton. How far (how big of an area) did you search after last blood? What are your temps like, will she keep over night? I am sure she is down, just a matter of finding her. I know, so much easy to say than do, but you have to give another shot. Try getting some extra eyes out there to help you look, I am sure she is down. Good luck!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Don't beat yourself up over it. Keep looking, because she is down somewhere. I put a bad shot on my very first buck that gave me a shot opportunity last week. I hit him in the shoulder, and I was shooting the Rage's. I guess shoulder shots aren't their specialty. I tracked mine for quite some time, until we could hardly see with a flashlight and ran out of blood. I figured he was down somewhere, so I let him go overnight.

Just my luck, it rained. No blood trail anymore. My uncle and grandpa went out that morning while I was at school. I skipped my second class to try to comb through the area to look for him. I looked through the area for almost 5 hours, and I even asked the neighbor if I could check his property and I looked around there for a while, just in case he jumped the road. I only stopped because I looked everywhere possible for this deer.

Keep looking, until you know that you have put all your effort into finding your deer. If you don't find her, you at least know you tried as hard as possible to find her. You owe it to her and yourself.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Well guys I am pretty sure about a few things. I thought it was a bad shot but I tried my bow out thursday afternoon I nocked my rest of just a little bit and it was causeing my shots to shoot to the left. I never found that deer went back out still no sign that deer was gone and correction on yardage I looked on my GPS it was only 142 from shoot to last blood. Well thanks for your help. My rest is fixed know.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: DeerStalker80

Guys well I hate to say this that I but a bad shoot on a deer. She was moving and I thought she had stopped. I got liver and stomach by the sign I saw. I hate this I gave her 4 hours and then started tracking her I tracked her for 300 yards and then the sign disappeared. I hate this. Man I feel so bad that I couldnt find her.
In all honesty, it's information you should have kept to yourself.