Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Goex clear shot or clean shot >

Goex clear shot or clean shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Goex clear shot or clean shot

Old 01-12-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Goex clear shot or clean shot

I was in a local sporting goods store tonight and they are closing out a multitude of items left over from Christmas and hunting season. I saw a table with around 20 cans of Goex powder but I can't remember if it said Clear shot or Clean shot. It was FFG powder and the can was white in color. Anyway, it had an original price of $22.00 and it was marked down to $10.00. Good deal, bad deal? Is it worth trying? I went to the Goex website but all I could find was something about Goex Pinnacle or other information on Goex powders in red cans and I know this wasn't that powder. I saw a couple of articles about both Clear shot and Clean shot both being made by Goex but I don't know why they made both of them. I originally thought they were competitors but I guess not. Anyway, any help or suggestions regarding either powder would help. I'm going back either tomorrow or Saturday to look at it again. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goex clear shot or clean shot

Goes used to and maybe still do make a powder called Clear Shot. Clean Shot was made by American Pioneer Powder Company when they used to be called Clean Shot Powder Company before getting in a legal bind with Hodgdon's over a copy right infringement on the shape of their pellets.

I will guess it is Clear Shot Powder since it was made by Goex. I shot it only once and was not impressed wiht thestuff. Granted it was clean to shoot, but really under powered as I remember. It was a long time ago. Some people actually liked the stuff. If I want a clean powder Clean Shot was excellent but is all gone. American Pioneer, Shocky Gold, Pinnacle and I guess Black Mag 3 are the clean powders now.

It would be interesting to know what kind of powder it was and what date it was made.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:02 AM

Thanks Cayugad. I'm going back over there tonight and I'm going to pick up a can of the stuff. I guess ten bucks for a pound of it is worth the investment to try it out anyway. I'll look the can over to see what kind of dates it has on it and I'll see if it is spelled Clean or Clear.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I agree with you... for $10.00 get a can and shoot it off. Might have some fun with it, and might also be able at a later date to warn someone away from the stuff in the event its junk!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

graveyard zombie

Either one of the two if they are as old as I think they might be - shake them and make sure they are still powder. They both can clump up especially Clean Shot.

Just thought of something - Clean Shot came inbottles - Clear Shot in Cans...

Old 01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Clear Shot, aside from being WEAK as Cayugad indicated, produced large droplets of water in my bore. Bring a towel unless you are in an extremely dry environment. Didn't like it at all!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Old powder here. As mentioned make sure it's still powder.

I would pass on it myself or just pick up a pound and see how it shoots for you.

I though both Goex Clear Shot and Pioneer Clean Shot were both pretty lame.

I would troll Walmart for Hodgdon 777 for bargains.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Goes used to and maybe still do make a powder called Clear Shot. Clean Shot was made by American Pioneer Powder Company when they used to be called Clean Shot Powder Company before getting in a legal bind with Hodgdon's over a copy right infringement on the shape of their pellets. "

Alas! GOEX ClearShot is a thing of the past. I tested it extensively when it first came on the market, and found that it was truly noncorrosive, as clamed by GOEX! However, one thing they did NOT mention was that the FFg granulation was too weak for round-ball shooting, and was underpowered by about 20% when used with heavy conicals.

However, substituting FFFg made a lot of difference. I got extreme accuracy and 1740 FPS from a 370-grain .50 Maxiball with the FFFg size ClearShot. I subsequently found 5 pounds of the FFFg size, and bought it. This will outlast me!