Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Kill - Revisited ....... >

The Kill - Revisited .......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Kill - Revisited .......

Old 10-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Kill - Revisited .......

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My sign? Heck I had your same bow.....lol. Great bow. Would I shoot mechanical from it......and expect them to react the same as a fixed blade BH?
No.
Jeff, did you use mechanicals with your switchback? I'm trying to understand where you are coming from here. All I've used with my LX are mechanicals. Just curious...not trying to pile on here.[&:]
Old 10-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, did you use mechanicals with your switchback?
Nope. But I wasn't pulling 28", either. I likely coud have (shot mech's).....but I didn't (Actually this isn't exactly true. I DID have mechanicals for a while.....just never shot one at a deer). I'd wonder what speeds that bow (at that DL) is producing.....and what the arrow weight was before I'd make ANY decision to shoot mechanicals.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

So ..... what do you all think about the Killing part of the hunt?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was wondering if this thread would ever turn back to the original idea behind it? Killing is good. You can't harvest if you don't kill. The deer just won't stand for it. If you are a hunter, you are a killer (no matter what PC term you want to use, it's still killing). OR Maybe we could just clear it up with different terms:

Deer Killer - someone who takes a deer for nothing more than the rack.
Deer Harvester - someon who takes a deer for the meat & the rack is a bonus.

All In Favor?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 PM

DING DING DING!!! WINNER!!!

love it AF, you got my vote. lol
Old 10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My sign? Heck I had your same bow.....lol. Great bow. Would I shoot mechanical from it......and expect them to react the same as a fixed blade BH?
No.

You plan your BH choice with "overkill" in mind. I do, too. I just do it with speed and KE. You do it by switching BH types (based on your NEED to do so .....with that setup).

EVERY story is told with a different setup being shot. At some point a BH will go through (either partially or directly) an animal's bone (or...it did, that day....with THAT animal). Would I plan my BH choice for that occurrence? Hell no. You would. Good for you.
No NEED to. My setup it plenty stout to makemost mechanicals fail on heavy bone. So now you do admit that broadheads will penetrate bone after earlier saying it could NEVER happen, that NO head could do that??? I'm confused. But after admitting that it can happen you still dont plan your BH choice for the occurence?? I'm confused again. Guess some folks must learn by doing. What a shame for the deer that you learn on.

You are starting to go in a circle again. Ever think about running for public office?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:32 PM

I was thinking about it today. The kill is the reason we hunt. Granted that Sitting in a tree is fun and watching the woods come to life in the morning is..We would not be doing it as much if we wernt there to make a kill. Not to hi-jack your thread but, How many people rely on hunting as a source of food? I mean if you didnt hunt you would die of starvation.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Dominant Buck

16 kills (less than 3 seasons)......16 recoveries and one "unknown". I can live with that.

PT..here's aquote I like to refer back to when i see threads like this one. It sums up my thoughts better than I could express them.

"The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the descendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter." - Finn Aagard
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The killing is necessary, it dont bother me a bit, i actually am quite fond of it!
Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over my years hunting deer, I have shot at 12 deer, harvested 12 deer, and ate 12 deer. I do not harvest more than we will consume. I take from the earth what we will eat and do not go out to shoot animals for the thrill of "killing". Although, when I release the arrow or squeeze the trigger and know the shot is good, there is still that adrenaline rush which adds to the hunt.

Quick Reply: The Kill - Revisited .......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.