Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define "High Fence" >

Define "High Fence"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define "High Fence"

Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Define "High Fence"

Speaking of fishing, whats the difference between catching a state record largemouth in a 1 acre pond and shooting a buck in a 1 acre pen?
A lot would depend on the person hunting/fishing, wouldn't it? A man with no legs, no arms,no pole, no gun, etc, may have a difficult time with either endeavor. I'll be the last guy to critise...

It is amazing how we are all so different!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Speaking of fishing, whats the difference between catching a state record largemouth in a 1 acre pond and shooting a buck in a 1 acre pen? Just food for thought.....

i still see it as high fence hunting
Sure the last guy to post steals my thunder (thanks Siman).. I was gonna ask... is fishing a farm pond fair chase?

We have 2 areas like that here.
#1 is Ravenna Arsenal, (You Know "Hole in the horn" was found just near here) It's a drawn area you have to apply, then you get like 1 acre to hunt, Guys killed Mosters there for years! Now it's mostly lesser bucks and does. Due to broadend opportunities and tags

#2 is a lake area where all the city folks water comes from, Meander Resevoir. It's a couple thousand acres maybe more fenced around the entire lake, no hunting, fishing, or access at all! It has a 6-7 foot fence all around the border. You can see deer there just driving by at noon on a 100 degree day!

Heck I know people who have hunted on bordering property who cut holes in the fence. This area is patroled regularly by DNR, a few years back a Game officer caught a guy fishing there, ilegally, the guy shot and killed the DNR Officer over fishing!!

Right now they are putting some new bridges in and there are tales from the divers of Catfish as big as men!

Imagine it's never been legally fished or hunted..would I go if somehow I was invited to thin the population? Without hesitation or consideration of this board at all!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Well I would think that it would be more challeging hunting on a 1700 acre fenced in military base than going on a hunt where your guided and put in a stand and told what deer to shoot or not shoot.Now if there are deer behind every tree then that wouldn't appeal to me neither,hell if I just wanted to kill deer and not hunt them I would do it at night with a spotlight behind my house out my bedroom window,but that ain't hunting either.I think that for most of us it's the hunt that count and the kill is a necessary evil that goes with it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Speaking of fishing, whats the difference between catching a state record largemouth in a 1 acre pond and shooting a buck in a 1 acre pen? Just food for thought.....

i still see it as high fence hunting
Sure the last guy to post steals my thunder (thanks Siman).. I was gonna ask... is fishing a farm pond fair chase?

We have 2 areas like that here.
#1 is Ravenna Arsenal, (You Know "Hole in the horn" was found just near here) It's a drawn area you have to apply, then you get like 1 acre to hunt, Guys killed Mosters there for years! Now it's mostly lesser bucks and does. Due to broadend opportunities and tags

#2 is a lake area where all the city folks water comes from, Meander Resevoir. It's a couple thousand acres maybe more fenced around the entire lake, no hunting, fishing, or access at all! It has a 6-7 foot fence all around the border. You can see deer there just driving by at noon on a 100 degree day!

Heck I know people who have hunted on bordering property who cut holes in the fence. This area is patroled regularly by DNR, a few years back a Game officer caught a guy fishing there, ilegally, the guy shot and killed the DNR Officer over fishing!!

Right now they are putting some new bridges in and there are tales from the divers of Catfish as big as men!

Imagine it's never been legally fished or hunted..would I go if somehow I was invited to thin the population? Without hesitation or consideration of this board at all!
Ive been to Ravenna Arsenal, and its a really nice place. Ive hear of this lake too.

As for the answer, id have to agree with huckleberry that everybody is different.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d
I was gonna ask... is fishing a farm pond fair chase?
Well, GR8, as an experienced bass fisherman, I can say that the only fish I've ever chased was a50 pound carp I foul hooked in the tail.We had to fire up the outboard and chase that sucker all overReelfoot. That being said, I normally don't "chase" fish.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 PM

Anywhere where a animal can't get out of.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anywhere where a animal can't get out of.
Well then, that seals it. There is no such thing as "high fence".
Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

High fence, low fence, no fence.I've Bowhunted military reservations with 8' fences & without fences.I have done em all in 52 years of Bowhunting.I have "ENJOYED" every experience.The debate will be never ending (my guess). Do what you enjoy & let the "neighbor" worry about whatever they want. P&Y, B&C are CLUBS & if you want your name in their book, abide by their rules-I cangratulate those who have done it "LEGALLY". Fences are debated just like fair chase "food plots", Bears over bait or with hounds, feeder or no feeder, trail cameras. There is NO HUNTING OVER BAIT in my state but wally world & farm & fleet sells a TON of DEER FOOD, RACK BUILDERS & suppliments ect.-NON-Hunters are not the big buyers (my guess).
YOU will never satisfy everyone-hell, I bet some of these guys that are Army or Marine can't stand a SAILOR.
GMMAT-sometimes I try to lighten the mood but never MAKE FUN of the other guy-not even you....
When you point a weapon-be sure of your target......
Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT-sometimes I try to lighten the mood but never MAKE FUN of the other guy-not even you....
When you point a weapon-be sure of your target......
Sound advice we all should live by.

And I wasn't talking to you.