Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define "High Fence" >

Define "High Fence"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define "High Fence"

Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Define "High Fence"

I was born in Pax River, I live in VA now but I hunt NAS Oceana and Fentress Airfield. Both bases have areas with fencing but even though they are tall they don't keep the deer in those areas. They find low spots, gates,other openings, or just jump them. They are as cagey as the next deer andfree range.

The jet noisemakes it real hard to hear them coming so that doesn't help much.

Ihave hunted these bases since 1992 and it does get annoying having to qualify and indoc every season when you have beenhuntingthere so long.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Being ex Navy I know those Deer can go & come as they please as long as they have the proper pass no matter how high the fence-Sailors too.....
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Dominant Buck

If you can't argue the facts or bolster your argument with reason......make fun of the other guy.

Brilliant!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some times posting on here is like playing chess with some one that askyouwhich way they can move the horsey guy.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe it does get old because you are trying to do so while hunting, but I think it’d be pretty cool to watch military jets take off on a regular basis. That stuff amazes me.

Oh yea, does hunting on an island(where the game cannot swim elsewhere) equate to a high fence?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking about that with the same situation that I hunt at times. I hunt an installation of about 7500 acres all fenced actually double fenced 8 foot high. I don't consider this a "high fenced" hunt for a couple of reasons:
1. There are open gates that have guards at them, nothing blocking access in and out. (Yes deer and bear have been seen walking in and out of it)
2. This installation is not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to bring in 200" deer for that kind of operation. In fact the biggest buck ever killed here was 125" class.
There is no feeders, food plots or any other items to help antler growth.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yea, does hunting on an island(where the game cannot swim elsewhere) equate to a high fence?
Nope. Thats natural habitat. It wasn't made by man.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

What if it's a man made island? I am not being sarcastic, I have a very good example in mind where some guys I know of own an island on a river that is an island until the river get's low and then you can access from land. When it go low they had a lot of trouble tresspassing so they had it dredged out so it's an island all of the time.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

What if it's a man made island? I am not being sarcastic, I have a very good example in mind where some guys I know of own an island on a river that is an island until the river get's low and then you can access from land. When it go low they had a lot of trouble tresspassing so they had it dredged out so it's an island all of the time.
lol!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen deer swim a 300 yard wide branch of the mississippi river with a pretty good current.May need to switch that analogy to something like a small island ten miles out into one of the great lakes or something like that.

I'll let you fellas argue over the height, however, one of my concerns could be the bottom of the fence. Are there many low spots, ditches, creeks, etc. where the deer can readily go under the fence, or is it secure from top to bottom?

I also agree with some that high fence can also be a philosophy that involves other aspects.If the movement of the game is completely impeded,you are doing feeders, and the big bucks are essentially "managed" (i.e. pampered) until they are half tame,then it seems clear that you are moving away from the realm of fair chase.

Quick Reply: Define "High Fence"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.